Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 Axis T23 Surf Wave Push

WestGAWakeResearch

Can anyone shed some light on the subject about optimizing the “push” that comes with a surf wave?  Unless I’m doing something wrong, my 2019 Axis T23 doesn’t seem to be producing enough push and seems to have a very small sweet spot.  The rear bags are 750’s.  Bow bag is 450 and we have an additional 400#s of lead in the boat to help customize but most of that is usually thrown in the bow.  Wedge 1-2.  Speed 11-12 depending on crew and rider.  I’m 6’ 195#s.  The wave looks magnificent and I’ve seen much much worse yet, with that, I’ve seen waves that don’t look as good as mine, also seems to be moving riders really well without issue.  I’m still very green at wake surfing and definitely consider myself a beginner so, it could be a technique thing as well but, my best friend owns a 2018 Supra and he’s commented on the lack of power behind the wave and how visually it’s a bomb and very clean yet, lacks the momentum rides should feel.  Any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

I have a T22 so cant give you specifics but some things I look for.

List the boat slighlty to the surf side if you are riding regular (goofy wave does not really need the help).  Nothing crazy just a little bit to clean up the lip.  

Don't bury the surf gate too far under water just below the surface. 

Weight boat so platform is just above the water surface when riding.

This usually gets me flamed but stow the wedge and try the wave.  We dont use ours except for modifying the wave for beginners/kids or rough water.

We have the wake makers exact fit bags and 600lbs. Of lead in our T22.  Here is our wave.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKfZ-ZjBzJJ/?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the response.  I gave you a follow on IG.  Your wave looks great!  One thing: can you go into specifics on where you have your Lead distributed?   Thanks again!

I put 300lbs up front 200lbs on surf side then 100lbs. that I may or may not use depending on crew size and when used its just on the rear floor.  

• Like 1

My friend just got the 2021 A24. When I went out with him to help him dial in the wave, the pretty wave he thought would be great, I had to tell him, would not have enough push. In my A24, we have no lead, just the sacks full (bow, center, port and starboard). The wedge makes all the difference in regards to push. Never surfed it at 1, more like 3 or 4. Speed seems good, but when dialing it in, look to shorten the wave with more size closer to the swim step. Make sure you are in deep enough water, because under 10 feet will seriously hamper your wave push.

• Like 1

Regarding speed, 11 to 12 is a huge spread. I surf at 11.9 (225 lbs). My older daughter at 11.7, younger daughter 11.4 and my wife 11.6. I can literally see the difference with the wave with a .2 mph increase/decrease. Regular foot wave won’t be quite as pushy as the goofy foot side. Would suggest time on the water without surfing, just dialing in the wave. Speed and wedge all ballast full.

• Like 1

Another huge factor is the board you are riding. Some of these boards just don't generate much speed and a lot of boats take the blame for it. Even the type of fins make a difference. I switched out the standard set of fins that came with my Doomswell Neo for a set of Futures F4 Blackstix and it completely unleashed a new level of speed for my board. Now, any thoughts I had to add lead or anything to my boat are put on the back-burner. The wave is plenty. 

Edited by formerathlete
  • Like 1

I’m running a 2021 Phase 5 Diamond & 2022 Hyperlite Shim.  Excellent point about the fin configuration and board.