Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Wakesetter VLX with 5.7L Indmar 340 Monsoon single beep alarm under load and then powers down into a limp mode

05wakesetterboy

I have an issue with my 2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX with a 5.7L Indmar 340 Monsoon engine 580 hours.  First run of the year, I put down the throttle to about 1/2 throttle when the boat gets out of the hole, I hear an audible single beep alarm and the engine goes into kind of a limp mode and it falls flat on its face.  The engine powers down and then struggles to build back RPMs and then without an alarm, powers back down and continues this lack of power until I throttle down.  Oil pressure is good.  Engine temp stays at 160 and lowers back down at idle.  When in neutral, giving it heavy throttle, no issues.  When at idle up to 10 mph or so, no issues.  Only happens under load at 1/4 throttle or higher.  I didn't have the issue last fall after winterization, but first run of the spring, it appeared.  I have replaced the following since and although it runs a lot better, the main issue has not been fixed.  My marina did a winterization and placed stable in the fuel with about 20 gallons in the tank that was non-ethanol premium fuel.  I filled the tank before my first run with 25 gallons of premium non-ethanol fuel, so it has a full tank.

Replaced:

Spark Plugs, Plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, fuel filter

Impeller was replaced last fall at winterization, new fuel pump 6 years ago.  

Any ideas?

Ty

formulaben
51 minutes ago, 05wakesetterboy said:

Engine temp stays at 160 and lowers back down at idle.

Down to what?  It should stay at ~160 at all times.

54 minutes ago, 05wakesetterboy said:

I hear an audible single beep alarm and the engine goes into kind of a limp mode

Are you positive that your Perfect Pass or Cruise Control isn't on?  Single beep is what Perfect Pass does...

• Like 1

It basically stays at 160, or just below, in other words it is not over heating.  I will check the Perfect Pass, but even then, it shouldn't power down if you are still giving it throttle beyond the set MPH should it?

Formula Ben, I bet you're right.  I will try it first thing when I get back on the water.  I feel like an idiot if that is what is going on.  Damn.

See if your knock sensors are plugged in.  It is common to remove them during winterization and if they don't get plugged back in they can cause an alarm and power reduction if the engine is run over 3000 Rpm.

• Like 1
formulaben
1 hour ago, 05wakesetterboy said:

Formula Ben, I bet you're right.  I will try it first thing when I get back on the water.  I feel like an idiot if that is what is going on.  Damn.

We've all been there...

• Like 3