Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis 19’ T23 Surf Wave Push

WestGAWakeResearch

Can anyone shed some light on the subject about optimizing the “push” that comes with a surf wave?  Unless I’m doing something wrong, my 2019 Axis T23 doesn’t seem to be producing enough push and seems to have a very small sweet spot.  The rear bags are 750’s.  Bow bag is 450 and we have an additional 400#s of lead in the boat to help customize but most of that is usually thrown in the bow.  Wedge 1-2.  Speed 11-12 depending on crew and rider.  I’m 6’ 195#s.  The wave looks magnificent and I’ve seen much much worse yet, with that, I’ve seen waves that don’t look as good as mine, also seems to be moving riders really well without issue.  I’m still very green at wake surfing and definitely consider myself a beginner so, it could be a technique thing as well but, my best friend owns a 2018 Supra and he’s commented on the lack of power behind the wave and how visually it’s a bomb and very clean yet, lacks the momentum rides should feel.  Any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks for your time!

Don't have a T23 but had an A22. In general (Imo)' bias your weight to the rear. If you want to keep the bow weight..add MORE weight to the rear. That will definately firm up the wave. Also your "green-nish" might factor in as well. It is easier to use too big of a board then trying to learn on one that is too small. On my A22 (2015) I could surf on easily at 215 lbs, not saying I am great, just saying the more you surf, the more you start to figure it out. To restate..add more weight to the rear or bias it to the rear. Also the wedge can help..my A15 had a manual wedge I would deploy if the water was a little rough. Can't speak to the power wedge.

• Like 1

I would try without wedge and see what difference it makes. It may also help to slow down a touch. I surf around 10.4-10.8mph. It’s all about trial and error. One thing I can recommend is once you get the wave you like get an inclination app and record the numbers so that when your crew changes you can set the boat to that specification every time. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’d say you prob have a little too much weight up front with just the 750’s in the back.  I have the bigger pnp bags in the back of my 23lsv and I can really notice a weaker push when I short fill those back bags to mimick 750s type weight.  Adding weight to the back will lift up the bow and effect driver vision so many are reluctant to really push it but you have to get passed that.  Once you get the rear weight right you will notice a bigger wave and it will have a more noticeable bigger sweet spot.  Then you start adding weight to the bow  which will distribute that “push” sweet spot further back through the wave.  In short, swap out your 750s with the biggest ones you can get.  Take all your lead and put it near middle of the boat.  Fill all hard tanks and pnp’s.  Wedge down to pos 2-3.  10-11 mph depending on river current  has worked great for me.  Admire your new monster wave.  Adjust the lead to the bow little by little stretching out that waves sweet spot.  Cheers man!

• Like 1