Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 Response LX engine high pitched “whistle” noise?

01 Response LX. 
Started it up for first time this year. Ran quiet for first 3-4mins. Then started this high pitched “whistle”. Kind of like a continuous emergency beep tone. Sounds like Its coming from top, port side around the fuel rail and ignition distributor cap. The sound is there at idle. Goes away about 1,500-2k RPM’s.  I did take it out on the water today and it ran perfectly fine. TIA. 

Edited by TheFriend

I had almost exactly the same symptoms.  Ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket.  I posted the episode and repair on TMC.  Repair took about 4 hours.  

7 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I had almost exactly the same symptoms.  Ended up being a leaking intake manifold gasket.  I posted the episode and repair on TMC.  Repair took about 4 hours.  

Could you post a link to the Repair How to? 

12 hours ago, TheFriend said:

Could you post a link to the Repair How to? 

It's somewhere on TMC but I'm on my phone right now.  I think the post had "high pitched whistling noise" in it.  Maybe 3 years ago.

Make sure you have a new head cover gasket and a new intake manifold gasket before you start.

Another member told me how confirm the diagnosis by spraying something at the joint but I forget what.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 11:55 PM, minnmarker said:

Here ya go.

Thanks for the reply. Was there any other gasket you had to remove to get to the intake gasket? that need replaced? Or is it simply removing the intake? Im pretty mechanical and have replace several GM intake manifold gaskets. 

Edited by TheFriend
37 minutes ago, TheFriend said:

Thanks for the reply. Was there any other gasket you had to remove to get to the intake gasket? that need replaced? Or is it simply removing the intake? Im pretty mechanical and have replace several GM intake manifold gaskets. 

I don't remember when they changed the intake, but if your engine has the throttle body at top center, then it is just sitting on the intake manifold. 

If your throttle body is at one corner of the intake (port and aft corner on a Response), then you will remove the plenum cover first (hit it with your purse after you remove the screws) and then the intake manifold below it.  Your leak could be at either level, so check the plenum carefully to see if the gasket is damaged before you remove the lower manifold.  You might get lucky.

16 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't remember when they changed the intake, but if your engine has the throttle body at top center, then it is just sitting on the intake manifold. 

If your throttle body is at one corner of the intake (port and aft corner on a Response), then you will remove the plenum cover first (hit it with your purse after you remove the screws) and then the intake manifold below it.  Your leak could be at either level, so check the plenum carefully to see if the gasket is damaged before you remove the lower manifold.  You might get lucky.

Thanks. Ill take a look. My engine is the 5.7L 325hp Indmar. Looks exactly like engine in this ad. https://www.onlyinboards.com/2000-Malibu-Response...-for-sale-Clovis-California-118442.aspx

ill take a look closer. May just go ahead and replace both. Since I'm already in there and I'm sure its probably all original. 

Edited by TheFriend
16 minutes ago, TheFriend said:

Thanks. Ill take a look. My engine is the 5.7L 525hp Indmar. Looks exactly like engine in this ad. https://www.onlyinboards.com/2000-Malibu-Response...-for-sale-Clovis-California-118442.aspx

ill take a look closer. May just go ahead and replace both. Since I'm already in there and I'm sure its probably all original. 

Probably more like a 325, not 525.  Anyway, that has the throttle body on top of a regular intake manifold, so no plenum cover.  It could be leaking at the base of the throttle body, so the spray test is a good one.  I'd probably use starting fluid (ether), but basically anything that will get you a noticeable RPM bump is good enough.

23 hours ago, justgary said:

Probably more like a 325, not 525.  Anyway, that has the throttle body on top of a regular intake manifold, so no plenum cover.  It could be leaking at the base of the throttle body, so the spray test is a good one.  I'd probably use starting fluid (ether), but basically anything that will get you a noticeable RPM bump is good enough.

My mistake. Should have been “325”. This should be a pretty easy repair. I did it on my leveled Yukon a month ago. All off a milk crate. So this should be a piece of cake. Just going to replace and be done with it. Thanks again. 

Edited by TheFriend

Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while.  Sounds like you're on the right track.   You will need a head cover gasket and, most importantly, a torque wrench.

Good luck.