Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chips in the bottom of my hull

I was detailing the boat yesterday and near the bottom of the v-hull I saw 3 chips in the fiberglass about the size of my index finger nail that went down to the blue shell underneath (pic attached).    It’s the first time I’ve been under the boat … Is this a big deal?  What should I do about it?  Is it something I can easily repair myself?  If so, how?  

E94BFC2C-3C1C-4AB9-B70C-28135DE4B77E.jpeg

9B14AB47-926F-4BF4-A4DC-5923E3748A82.jpeg

That’s the perfect size to repair yourself. Gel coat repair kits are easy to work with and yield great results. I’m a big fan of the “Marine Coat One” brand. image.thumb.jpeg.7c85c86d775da7dc0f8548d1b151a666.jpeg

Thanks German!  Are they a big deal?  Can I wait til the end of the season or do you suggest tackling it now?

If it were my boat I’d bang it out before going out again. It’s not going to leak from the chip or anything but I just like the idea of repairing before it gets exposed to more elements that could make the repair not as successful. The directions on the Marine Coat One kit are excellent and easy to follow. The guy who owns it is also easy to reach via phone if you have any questions. 

Good call. Post up a few pics when your done if you have time. These type of threads are really helpful to other members also. 

• Like 2