Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upgrading Alternator

I have a 99 Sunsetter that I believe the alternator is going out on, and I’d like to upgrade to a higher amp alternator anyway because of my stereo and ballast bags, etc. I’ve read some about having to reword some things and add larger AWG wiring. Should I go up to a 70amp or 100amp? Also if anyone has instructions of how to install a higher amp alternator, that would be great

formulaben
1 hour ago, Joshh8120 said:

Should I go up to a 70amp or 100amp?

I went with a 105 amp alternator.  Just know that is the rough limit for single v-belt applications.  I eventually went to ribbed pulleys because belt tension was becoming an issue.

1 hour ago, Joshh8120 said:

Also if anyone has instructions of how to install a higher amp alternator, that would be great

If its the same alternator chassis, its plug n play as far as completing the swap. The issue is when you step up into a larger alternator chassis and require custom brackets, etc. 

In most cases, the only wire gauge upgrade is going to the from the alt's output to its first point of termination, which is typically the starter's main post. 

46 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Here is a good write up. Just did my boat, works great.

Thanks! Did you run just an extra positive cable or did you run another ground cable as well? Also what AWG wire did you use?

10 hours ago, Joshh8120 said:

Thanks! Did you run just an extra positive cable or did you run another ground cable as well? Also what AWG wire did you use?

Yep, both. Used 2 awg, found the best price was on eBay. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel