Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dock bumpers and cool stuff

hethj7

If everything goes to plan we will be closing on a lake house tomorrow. We will have two slips in the HOA community dock.  I have had a slip for years at the local marina but now will have our own.  

My wife wants to “bumper” the dock to avoid any anxiety with pulling in.  She is an ace, but the new dock does take main channel traffic so it could be dicey on busy weekends.  There are tons of different dock guards, profile shapes, etc.  Anyone got a favorite and reason why?

Any other cool must haves to make life easy at the dock?  We will of course have a lift.  And may explore a dock box and some typical stuff.  But I figured someone on TMC has some must have product that I have probably given no thought to before.  

@hethj7 do you have young kids?
Can you swim in that area? 
If so, we have a cheap swing set style slide. It’s not much, but our 8 yr old and her friends and neighbor kids love.

AC388865-14B1-4F36-9B86-BD11140D09A0.thumb.jpeg.51f82f3ab0ccef570d9775e335e03b8f.jpeg

@Hemmy Yes, we can swim.  The end has a 10' wide swim platform that runs about 60' in length.   We have a bounce house at home that has a slide....I keep thinking that thing would be a blast to make a splash house and then slide off into the water.    

5 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

We want something permanent.      

I was more wondering about all the various profiles of dock bumpers out there.  There are probably a dozen different styles.   

1880409129_ScreenShot2021-05-23at8_37_07PM.png.2fa712f98a41e2471e1ac8fff1035ee4.png

1692395560_ScreenShot2021-05-23at8_38_45PM.thumb.png.6934589029f1e45ebe1cf05290b71c07.png

The middle one or what I went with for "Moby Dock". https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dock-edge-heavy-p-profile-white-24ft/1000709555?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D22 - E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Building Materials_Building Materials_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_aud-1217348014986:pla-559015408990&gclid=CjwKCAjw-qeFBhAsEiwA2G7Nl3KdoKZbP3n99MbvK01-_YBC4g4KfCJ8LX-JDoF9f2Ztmbk4AmHaSxoC5noQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  Also, I put a second  bumper below the top edge.  I'll try to find a pic.

29 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Sweet!   I never thought about HD carrying stuff like that either.  

And up here, HD will beat the lowest price plus 10%.  I spent  over a grand on bumpers and cleats.

My vote would be for vertical bumpers every 3-4' instead of a long horizontal run.  With the vertical style you only hit the rubrail instead of the gelcoat.

3 hours ago, dtm8119 said:

My vote would be for vertical bumpers every 3-4' instead of a long horizontal run.  With the vertical style you only hit the rubrail instead of the gelcoat.

And most people will hit the spaces, rather than the vertical bumpers. :) image4.jpg

What I did was take a Double D (no jokes - LOL) and split it and mounted it all around. dockedge-double-d-profile-8-white-51773-

If you have a buddy at the local fire department, used fire hose makes a great bumper.  Start at the bottom, screw it in, then make pleats and fasten it as you go up.  Alternatively (and probably even better), cram pool noodles into the hose and fasten it along the edges for a nice padded bumper.  Done properly, it isn't really uglier than other products, and it's pretty cheap.

spacer.png

• 4 months later...

C marine bumpers are the best available.  I placed them horizontally on my dock as well as a few spaced apart mounted on wood pillings vertically in the slip as my dock is on a busy lake as well that gets very dicey on weekends.  These are expensive but they work great for my m235 and soon to be m240.  Small investment IMO 

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/c-marine-large-flat-back-heavy-duty-dock-bumper-10in-height/du-5f