Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Considering Malibu, moving from jet boat, help.

4mc

Moving from jet boat to surf boat.  Considering Malibu 2021 25LSV or 24M.  Thoughts?  Pros Cons.  Do you recommend Malibu?

Edited by 4mc
Error

Currently go out as often as possible tubing, cruising.  Have a 13 and 15 year old whose friends love to come out on boat. 242 Yamaha.  I used to live in southern Cal. and was an avid surfer.  Moved to Texas 15 years ago. Went wake surfing with some friends a few times last season behind a centurion and am hooked. 

Currently have some ballast and a wake shaper in the Yamaha, but it will never thrhough up a great wave.  Also tons of work to dial in a wave.

Edited by 4mc

Hard to beat a Malibu or Axis, which is why they're the industry leader. 

Do you have your eyes on an in-stock boat or would you be ordering? If the latter, you're likely going to be waiting for a 2022. 

41 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Do you have your eyes on an in-stock boat or would you be ordering? If the latter, you're likely going to be waiting for a 2022. 

42 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Not in a rush.  In research mode.  2022 is cool with me if I need to wait.  Any feedback on 25 LSV vs 24M?  How do the two compare for surfing and chop handling

Want a good surf experience but also be able to handle chop well?

2 minutes ago, 4mc said:

Not in a rush.  In research mode.  2022 is cool with me if I need to wait.  Any feedback on 25 LSV vs 24M?  How do the two compare for surfing and chop handling

My buddy has a centurion. But it seems that the Malibu is more user friendly to switch between surfers (goofy/regular/beginner/intermediate/etc.) and comfortable.  But I may be wrong on that count.

Edited by 4mc
2 hours ago, 4mc said:

By 24M can we assume you mean 24 MXZ?

If so the 25 LSV and the 24 MXZ are very similar. Probably the two most similar boats in the lineup. at least in 2021.  For 2022 the 25 LSV is getting a makeover, so that might be a good one to put your name on. 

Here’s what I tell people about the difference between tow boats and jet boats. A tow boat can do everything a jet boat can do (tube) plus many things it can’t do (wakeboard and surf). So if you’ve caught the surfing bug, you’re in the right place. 

Suggest you make your deposit NOW for a 2022. Not kidding...

@Dfowkes can chime in as he has had the 25LSV and now M240.   I'll offer my 2 cents. 

Both are awesome boats.   The 25LSV handles moderate chop well.  Keep in mind no wakeboat will handle chop like an I/O or potentially even your Yamaha, but that being said, each generation of wakeboat gets deeper and heavier, so they handle chop much better today than in past years.   The M240 is going to put out a better wave than the 25LSV.   That being said, the 25LSV wave is incredible and will let riders of any skill level have a blast behind that boat.   I suspect the 2022 redesign will improve the wave even more.    Unless something changes for 2022, the 25LSV still runs plug and play ballast typically so you do lose some rear locker storage when running full.    There is still lots of storage on the boat, but I think the M240 is all subfloor ballast, although the under seat storage may be a bit shallower to accommodate.   

And IXFE isn't lying - if you want a 2022, I'd get in line early.