Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermittent starting issues

KevinMChandler

Just started having an issue with my 04 Wakesetter where I turn the key and the boat won't turn over.  I tired it several times without success then suddenly it started like normal.  This has occurred a few times today.  The kill switch was disabled years ago.  What is the likely cause?  Where should I start troubleshooting?  Thanks in advance for the advise.

Next time it happens, have somone hold key in the start positon and tap the starter with a hammer. If it comes to life replace the starter.

Edited by Rednucleus
formulaben

Could also be the key switch but for sure start with the starter solenoid. 

Also, when you start move the shift lever back and forth in the neutral detent.  If it starts when it is pushed forward or aft then the shifter cable needs to be adjusted so that the neutral safety switch is engaged while in neutral.  Yours is of the age where the brass shifter may be wearing out and causing the issue.  They are cheap and relatively easy to swap out.

https://skidim.com/connector-control-cable.html

Mine a few years ago:

2zf1qpu.jpg

• Like 2

Went through this a couple years ago. If what you have is nothing, when you turn the key, it might be your throttle and shift lever. It is supposed to give a signal that the boat is in neutral to start it. Mine started intermittently, like yours, and within a few weeks was always. Initially tried batteries, starter, battery connections to no avail. Needed new lever.

The neutral safety switch is on the transmission to prevent the engine from cranking when in gear, but I would start with checking for loose connections on the starter, corrosion or wear from water intrusion in the starter, or a faulty ignition key switch.

Hi Guys, 

I have a similar issue with my '99 Sunsetter LXI. I usually have to disconnect the battery (new battery too), reconnect, and then the engine decides to turnover and start. Any other suggestions of things to check? Thanks!

Like several folks above noted, the neutral safety switch isn't quite fully in the neutral detent. Just bump the throttle lever a smidge back and forth as you turn the key.

Steve B.

does anyone here know where the batteries are grounded? I've heard of people having battery draining issues that can be caused by a bad ground. I would assume the batteries are grounded in the engine area somewhere? 

Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, Maliblue93401 said:

does anyone here know where the batteries are grounded? I've heard of people having battery draining issues that can be caused by a bad ground. I would assume the batteries are grounded in the engine area somewhere? 

Thanks! 

Mine are grounded to a post on the port side of the motor.