Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how/where to install Trickle charger?

Bigfish0230

So my boat is 1 year old with about 30 hours on it and the battery is dead. I got the boat back from the dealer and put it in the water. It started up, we took it around  the lake for about 30 minutes. The battery was absolutely turned to the off position when done, and three days later turned on the boat, the dash came on, the blower then no turnover. Now blower wont even function.  I have the option three set up.  It wont' turn over. The battery V show only 11.5, so I was thinking of installing a trickle charger to top off the batteries when not in use.   I included some pictures of under/ behind my observer seat. Not sure how to hook up the trickle charger .

However I also have another question as I am not the mechanical type. I have a CAT 12V 1000A jump starter that I hooked up to the batteries but it wont start using this. Maybe I am connecting it wrong?? Not enough power? Any advice would be appreciated. Boat is a 2020 LSV 23 with the 450 Raptor

Thanks!!

Under observation seat1.jpg

under observation seat 2.jpg

Boat Batteries.jpg

formulaben

Something's wrong if you have the battery switch off and the battery is drained.  You didn't say if it stayed on the water or not...I can't speak about the wiring in your boat but many (not all) boats will have the bilge pump hard wired to the battery, so if the battery switch is off that should be your only substantial power drain.  If dry docked a bad bilge float switch could do the same too.  Whatever it is, I'd get that fixed before worrying about a trickle charger.

A lot of new pumps have a test knob on them. Rotate the knob and the pump runs. With that said, if the float was stuck causing the battery to run down, your ears are all you need. You'd hear the pump running. 

2 hours ago, Bigfish0230 said:

Should my cat JUMP box have turned the engine if it was indeed the battery?

I've had to jump start my boat when my kid lef tthe blower on all night - it's a 600 CCA SLA box.  No probs starting a 350 small block with that.

formulaben
14 hours ago, Bigfish0230 said:

It should, but if there is any corrosion on any of the connections between the engine and batteries then that could be your problem.  The terminals may look clean and perfect on the outside, but I've seen corrosion "sandwiched" between clean connections so it's always a good idea to remove each terminal and clean it, then reinstall nice and tight.

formulaben
14 hours ago, Bigfish0230 said:

MLA-  Thanks. No noise noticeable.

If it's not real quiet you might not hear it.  If you can see the float switch then put your hand on the bilge pump and then lift the float up and down.  You'll feel the vibration.  If your boat has the water sensing type of "float" then have someone manually turn the switch on for you.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bigfish0230 said:

Was your jump box fully charged?  Did you connect it to the starting battery?

I mounted mine on the amp board. I used standoffs left over from a TV wall mount kit to get it off the carpet for ventilation.  I ran marine grade wire with a inline fuse up to the batteries.  I also ran an the power back to a noco plug to the far rear compartment. I can plug/uplug it with only removing the corner of the cover. IMG_3.thumb.jpg.fdc50e9182d39e90b3d7f66f316a51f9.jpg  

IMG_4.jpg

IMG_2.jpg