Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PLEASE HELP

Need help from the Crew!

Boat is a 2012 Wakesetter VLX w/the LSA. First time out today for the season, ran totally fine, like always, until about 15min into the cruise, I was cruising at about 30mph, out of no where, shut completely off. Started back up but died when being put into gear, 4th time it was able to idle under power. Then when I stopped it died again. Started it back up and trans started making a noise. Like a faint grinding kind of sound coming from trans/under the boat. Pulled it out. Prop spins freely with no binding and no sound. Took it out of the water, hooked up hose to boat, idles fine, then makes this grinding sound when it’s in gear under power. Have videos I can send to someone. 

Appreciate anyone’s help!!

James 

formulaben

Could be a damper plate issue?

57 minutes ago, MalibuRyan said:

Took it out of the water, hooked up hose to boat, idles fine, then makes this grinding sound when it’s in gear under power.

Even without any problems, you'll get some noise from the cutlass bearing if you're in gear unless you lube it up.

And FYI for others that may stumble upon this, if you fail to lube it could ruin the bearing and they're not fun to replace.

2 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Could be a damper plate issue?

Even without any problems, you'll get some noise from the cutlass bearing if you're in gear unless you lube it up.

Never heard of this. Mind if I text you video to hear it? 

16 hours ago, csleaver said:

Are there any active or previously active fault codes listed in the setup menu on the Malivue?

I didn’t see anything. Would this be a possible explanation? How do I look into this?

To check for active or inactive fault codes on your 2012 Wakesetter, press the SETUP button to the right of your Malivue screen, use the arrow button to scroll down to INACTIVE ENGINE FAULTS and press ON/OFF ENTER button.  Note any SPN FMI code numbers and check for them in the diagnostic manual.  Do The same thing to select the ACTIVE ENGINE FAULTS list just above the inactive faults in the setup menu.

The first six things I check on a fuel injected boat that is having a running issue is:

1. Are there any diagnostic trouble codes?

2. Are all of the drivetrain fluids in good condition and at the proper levels?

3. Are there any loose cable connections at the battery, main ground or power cables, or low voltage?

4. What is the engine cylinder compression and the condition of the spark plugs or ignition components?

5. What is the condition and level of fuel in the boat and what is the fuel system pressure at key on, running, and at key off?

6. Are there any noticeable signs of physical damage to the drive train or running gear?

This method will not find every problem, but will often help me determine which direction to go during a diagnosis.

For it to shut the engine off while up to speed I have a feeling it's something electronic or maybe (fuel pump).

My thinking is it's running rough enough that the tranny is getting shook good. But with that said, ha, check the water inlet to the tranny cooler to make sure it isn't over heating. Good luck,

Steve B.

Edited by Steve B.
clarify

When my tranny went out on my 2002 VLX, it would start and then die when put into gear. I wasn’t lucky enough to have any transmission noise.

12 hours ago, MakeNWaves said:

When my tranny went out on my 2002 VLX, it would start and then die when put into gear. I wasn’t lucky enough to have any transmission noise.

What was the cost to replace, did you get to the root of the problem?

Mine only has 280hrs on it, and the boat is never abused, so hard for me to think the tranny went?????

18 hours ago, Steve B. said:

For it to shut the engine off while up to speed I have a feeling it's something electronic or maybe (fuel pump).

My thinking is it's running rough enough that the tranny is getting shook good. But with that said, ha, check the water inlet to the tranny cooler to make sure it isn't over heating. Good luck,

Steve B.

I know, it makes no  sense to me. Only has 280 hours and never abused at all. Not many places around to take the boat to get it checked out. Oil, was fine, Oil PSI was fine, Trans fluid was fine, hoping it's somthing very very simple.