Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom straps and bow safety chain

DennisJK

Does anyone have recommendations on what type of transom straps and safety chain to get for 2017 23 LSV?

On my previous smaller boats  always had them, but i was told heaver boats didn't need them, so i haven't the past couple years.  BUT today I hit some uneven pavement on the highway today and it sketched me out a bit, so i'm putting some extra precaution in place...

-Dennis

On 5/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, DennisJK said:

Does anyone have recommendations on what type of transom straps and safety chain to get for 2017 23 LSV?

On my previous smaller boats  always had them, but i was told heaver boats didn't need them, so i haven't the past couple years.  BUT today I hit some uneven pavement on the highway today and it sketched me out a bit, so i'm putting some extra precaution in place...

I

I ended up ordering the following (I will reorder if I determine i need bigger straps/chain to hold the weight of 23LSV)

BoatBuckle G2 Stainless Steel Retractable Transom Tie-Down (Black), 1 Pair

Tie Down Engineering 81201 Bow Safety Chain, Black

• 2 weeks later...

Good plan.

You definitely want to run them.  A lot safer for your boat, and less damage likely in the event of a minor accident.  

You can also run a single buckle style on the front, and ratchet it down....but there isn't a great place to mount it.

I'm going to move mine to the "web" area of the malibu logo, on the bow support brace.  

On 5/22/2021 at 1:34 PM, DennisJK said:

-Dennis

Who told you that?  Was it this guy?

boat-crashes-into-ram-pickup.webp

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10155699867558008&id=42557798007

Edited by UWSkier
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Last Thursday.  No other route around the water other than this bridge, so this had traffic backed up quite a way.  Looks like the trailer uncoupled and the boat forgot to stop as fast as the trailer did.  The boat took the winch post off the trailer and kept going.  The white stuff on the bridge is gelcoat from the boat.  I suppose a few straps might have helped keep everything together.  Sure couldn't have hurt.

spacer.png

On 5/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, DennisJK said:

-Dennis

150 ton airplanes seem to fly without too much trouble 

Here's a pic of my setup which is using the OE safety strap at the bow.  I fabricated the mounting plate/loop and reused the bolts from the winch. 

IMG_2784[1].JPG

Edited by german88
On 6/26/2021 at 9:11 AM, german88 said:

Here's a pic of my setup which is using the OE safety strap at the bow.  I fabricated the mounting plate/loop and reused the bolts from the winch. 

IMG_2784[1].JPG

Do you know of a model number? my older Malibu//extreme trailer doesn't have a safety stap and I want to get one

Ordered from Bakes:  p/n, 6855009

11 hours ago, bbrett said:

Do you know of a model number? my older Malibu//extreme trailer doesn't have a safety stap and I want to get one

Ordered from Bakes: p/n, 6855009

They drop ship it direct from Malibu.  Keep in mind it's fairly short at approx. 11" 

On 5/22/2021 at 3:34 PM, DennisJK said:

-Dennis

My friends have this or similar. 

https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Retractable-Transom-Tie-Down-Black/dp/B000KORVJY/ref=asc_df_B000KORVJY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312094677816&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1044388611439800752&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019444&hvtargid=pla-485863562877&psc=1

So easy to use, I don't know why people wouldn't use them. Besides, In Wisconsin, it is the law.

• Like 2

These are the ones that came on my trailer from Boatmate:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Heavy-Retractable-Tie-Down/dp/B002FVZVO2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=4K64NT9A79G6&dchild=1&keywords=starbrite+ratchet+tie+down&qid=1625164413&sprefix=starbrite+ra%2Csporting%2C185&sr=8-6

And I added this bow chain with a screw link to attach it to the trailer.  I broke a winch strap pulling the boat out of the water one day, it didn't stretch the chain tight, but I was happy it was there.

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Engineering-Marine-Safety/dp/B001445JZ2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bow+chain&qid=1625164475&sr=8-1

54 minutes ago, footndale said:

I have these and I like them a lot

3 hours ago, german88 said:

3 hours ago, german88 said:

Ordered from Bakes:  p/n, 6855009

Ordered from Bakes: p/n, 6855009

They drop ship it direct from Malibu.  Keep in mind it's fairly short at approx. 11" 

I searched Bakes and couldn't find the strap. Any help?

35 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

Me too.  I did go to the service department and inquire if they could get one, I'll post here when I have an answer.  Having said that, when looking at the newer trailers, it appears the location on my trailer (2017) would need a longer strap anyway.  My trailer has an opening near the "floor", next to the jack (bottom left of pic).  The newer trailers appear to connect just below the winch.  Any suggestions? 20200807_173131.thumb.jpg.165833c8e2ab581465d6cbf0e62e469d.jpg

1 hour ago, MystiikVLX said:

It's not in their inventory.  Special order from Malibu and as I stated they will drip ship directly from Malibu.  Mine arrived in less than 5 days.