Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Much Should it Cost to Have Dealer Replace Prop?

Malibumichigan23

Of course, fist time out this year, the water level is low at the launch.  I go to load the back on at the end of the day and we can't get it on.  Re-loaded it 3 times, one of which I gave it some gas and the boat shifted and hit the trailer and bent it a bit.  I take it to Tommy's in Grand Rapids, which hasn't been a great experience) and they give me a price of $2100 to replace and install.  It took about 30 minutes.  Seems like highway robbery to me?  Thoughts?

ahopkins22LSV

Yes that is insanely high. Even if it was a 17” prop that costs are approaching 1k, there is no way the labor should have cost the same. Did you ask for a cost break down?

4 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yes that is insanely high. Even if it was a 17” prop that costs are approaching 1k, there is no way the labor should have cost the same. Did you ask for a cost break down?

I'm waiting on the breakdown. 

That’s insane. Order your self a prop and a puller tool from acme for nearly half of that. 

Also try and avoid putting your trailer in the water that deep. Your bunks should catch you and avoid all possibilities of hitting the prop on the trailer. 

• Like 2

Assuming a 17” prop, those are just under $800 right now. As others said, the prop swap is 15-30 minutes for your first time doing it.

BTW, repairing your bent prop will be $100-200, and it will be good as new.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

That’s insane. Order your self a prop and a puller tool from acme for nearly half of that. 

Also try and avoid putting your trailer in the water that deep. Your bunks should catch you and avoid all possibilities of hitting the prop on the trailer. 

That depends on how steep your ramp is. It is a two step process for me to load my 25LSV 

But as they are saying above. An hour of labor and the most I have seen a 17” prop priced at is $1,150.00. And they still have three in stock😂😂. I paid right at $900.00 shipped overnight for a 3077. 

Edited by Sparky450

I wish you could get them to take it off and get your money back.  A harmonic puller is $50 and the Acme one is around a $100.  I took off my old prop last weekend and installed my backup one in about 20 minutes.  I also took my old one to the local prop shop for recondition at cost of $125.  I always keep two on hand but right now have three.  Yes that price you paid is way more than it should be.  That prop new is about $900...

On 5/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, Malibumichigan23 said:

Of course, fist time out this year, the water level is low at the launch.  I go to load the back on at the end of the day and we can't get it on.  Re-loaded it 3 times, one of which I gave it some gas and the boat shifted and hit the trailer and bent it a bit.  I take it to Tommy's in Grand Rapids, which hasn't been a great experience) and they give me a price of $2100 to replace and install.  It took about 30 minutes.  Seems like highway robbery to me?  Thoughts?

Did they give you the quote and then you approved the work?  I agree with the others that is really high, I'm guessing there is more involved than just the prop, perhaps the rudder too?

I change my prop out at least twice a season and it takes less than 10 mins.  Buy a prop puller and a spare prop and give it a whirl. Its probably the easiest do-it-yourself repair you can possible have on a boat. 

23 minutes ago, COOP said:

Right? Thats crazy high. Should come with a happy ending for that price.

Maybe they use a Rolex puller and Panerai tools.

Sadly, its caveat emptor 24/7 these days.  Frankly if it was me (well, I wouldn't have agreed to that in the first place, but that is moot), I would go back and talk to management for a refund of some of it.  Clearly these guys define the term "stealership".

Should be free with the purchase of a prop.  But no more than $100.00.  Props are as low as $300 for 3 blades and as cheap at $450 for some 4 blades.

I just paid $650 for a 1919 15 x 13 4 blade Prop from OJ.

I really got screwed but that seems to be pretty standard with Tommys. This is my 2nd boat with them and their service department is horrible. It’s unfortunate that in Michigan they own all of the Malibu dealerships. If I have issues with this boat, I’m buying a Mastercraft

Not to beat a dead horse here, but you agreed to this charge before the work was done? Whether I take my cars or my boat in, I always get an estimate of the  cost and they have to call me for authorization if it exceeds the estimate.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, Malibumichigan23 said:

I really got screwed but that seems to be pretty standard with Tommys. This is my 2nd boat with them and their service department is horrible. It’s unfortunate that in Michigan they own all of the Malibu dealerships. If I have issues with this boat, I’m buying a Mastercraft

That does seem crazy high.  

They def don’t own all the Malibu dealerships in Michigan.  

Which location was it?

I actually had a great experience with a fair price and good treatment last summer at the Detroit shop.  They replaced my aging strut with a brand new one for under $550.  I drove 4 hours from central Ohio because MY local dealership (No Wake) wasn’t taking customers who didn’t buy the boat from them (used boat purchase) for service.  

Edited by RedWakesetterVLX
MalibuNation

There's 2 dealers fairly close to GR.  Gull Lake Marina:

15704 48th Avenue

Coopersville, MI 49404

LOCAL: 616.303.0402

TOLL FREE: 800.252.3388

--------

RICHLAND (outside of Kazoo)

10261 M89 Highway

Richland, MI 49083

• Like 2

Sorry about that .  That is ridiculous in my opinion.   I welded a couple nuts together years ago in an attempt to make my own harmonic puller... jI ust spin it on and pop it with a hammer and the prop pops off without too much fuss.  They definitely took advantage unless there was more damage to shaft or something else?   I did something similar years ago ...got impatient loading at a crowded ramp and got a little sideways .  I hit the trailer and had to have my prop repaired.  Sent it off to ACME and had it fixed.  I found a spare on craigslist.  I would get a spare if you can and a puller.  Then if (when) lol it happens again you can take care of it yourself.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

There's 2 dealers fairly close to GR.  Gull Lake Marina:

15704 48th Avenue

Coopersville, MI 49404

LOCAL: 616.303.0402

TOLL FREE: 800.252.3388

--------

RICHLAND (outside of Kazoo)

10261 M89 Highway

Richland, MI 49083

That’s great to know. Thanks 

6 hours ago, DUKENO1 said:

Sorry about that .  That is ridiculous in my opinion.   I welded a couple nuts together years ago in an attempt to make my own harmonic puller... jI ust spin it on and pop it with a hammer and the prop pops off without too much fuss.  They definitely took advantage unless there was more damage to shaft or something else?   I did something similar years ago ...got impatient loading at a crowded ramp and got a little sideways .  I hit the trailer and had to have my prop repaired.  Sent it off to ACME and had it fixed.  I found a spare on craigslist.  I would get a spare if you can and a puller.  Then if (when) lol it happens again you can take care of it yourself.

That’s my plan. I’m getting mine fixed and buying the tools to do it myself 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, Malibumichigan23 said:

Ya, that dealer gave you an FU price. 

Buy this..

https://www.wakemakers.com/acme-c-clamp-prop-puller.html?530=51852&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2ungpL_58AIVht7ICh3PGQ6qEAQYASABEgJXiPD_BwE

A couple of these..

https://www.wakemakers.com/propeller-cotter-pin.html

Spend the 15 minutes and do it yourself. It’s super easy, barely an inconvenience.