Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine won’t turn over after emergency bilge event

I just bought a 2014 20 VTX and was testing out the ballast while out on a spin. The boat has extra bags which one of the fill hoses was unfortunately faulty and was pumping directly into the bilge on one side.  I noticed when the emergency bilge kicked on. I noticed it pumping out a lot l of water and killed the ballast fill and immediately starting draining. I was riding really low and was pretty close to home so I  put it on the lift and let it all drain. I’m not sure how much water was in the bilge and what it covered in the engine compartment but now my engine won’t turn over. Everything powers up on the dash and works as expected.  No faults/warnings, just won’t turn over. Nothing. No trying or even sounding like it intends to do anything. Am I missing something simple like a wet connection or maybe it tripped the engine breaker? It was getting too dark to do much digging so I’m stuck trying to wait until tomorrow to take a look. Thank you

Edited by WakeBretter
Misspelling
6 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Could you have left it in gear?

That’s what I had hoped, but no. That’s what it felt like. Won’t turn over with the code out key.

Starter solenoid comes to mind first. That’s really the only item that low in the bilge to be affected by water. I fought a solenoid issue on my 2010 for a season until I finally pulled it out and had it tested. I pulled the starter apart and it looked new after a couple lapses in memory, the solenoid was a gooey rusty mess.