Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat won’t power off

I’ve got an 08 23lsv. When I go to turn batteries on, with key out of switch, the electrical turns on and will not power down unless batteries are turned off. Is this a switch problem?

formulaben

When you say "electrical turns on" do you mean engine instruments or house electrical power?  Unlike a car, most electrical power is available regardless of key position, such as stereo, ballast switches, light switches, etc. 

If you're talking about engine instruments coming on with battery master switch, then the key switch is definitely where I would start.  Does your model have the basic 4 position (AUX, OFF, ON, START) switch?  They are relatively inexpensive.

I know that what is on with the key out are at least the things mentioned in your first paragraph. I don’t think engine instruments are coming on. Sounds like that is normal for this boat?? I don’t think that’s how the previous boat I’m used to is. 

is battery dying not a problem if at least those electrics are on when batteries are on?

4 position switch, yes  

formulaben
1 hour ago, Mass said:

I don’t think engine instruments are coming on. Sounds like that is normal for this boat?? I don’t think that’s how the previous boat I’m used to is. 

Yes, this is normal for this model and most in this category.  Other boats do it differently but I'm sure you'll come to appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Mass said:

is battery dying not a problem if at least those electrics are on when batteries are on?

They all can be selected off, and for sure someone sitting for hours playing their stereo could cause the battery to drain, that's why you'll see many here with multi-bank or multi-battery setups, usually due to high power stereos.  Having said that, it's not completely necessary. 

But if that's something you'll be doing, then I highly recommend the Blue Seas Add-a-Battery system.  I have a smaller start battery on the "start" side, and 2 Group 29 batteries for the "house" side.  Using their system, I'll always be able to start the motor regardless of what happens to the house batteries.

It is normal for the MUX LCD control button displays to turn on when the battery switch is turned on, if that is what is happening in your boat.  The display switches eventually "time out" and turn off until the key switch is turned on or one of the buttons are pressed to make them "wake up" again.

• Like 2