Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skin Replacement

TanklessPro

Hello all,

New to forum, literally my first post here. I purchased a 99 Response LX today. The interior is still in ok shape but it is showing it’s age. I read a post on here about Chee Moua being the guy that did the best work to get replacement skins. The post was several years ago and it said that he retired from Malibu, so I hope he is still around. If so, does anyone have his contact info? If not, any suggestions?

My first inboard, so questions to come....

Now you've done it!  You've conjured up the Dark Lord.  Chee was "the man" a while back back but disappeared with peoples' money some say, and is certaibly no longer making skins. Alien abduction was rumoured.  Gabriel Garcia is now numero uno, but he is busy AF. (Search for his contact details).

Many folks have used their local shop with great results.  My guy redid some of the skins on my 99 RLX and if you did not know, you would think they are OEM.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:41 AM, TanklessPro said:

Thanks, I will look them up. I may go the custom route via Viper Customs which I have heard good things. 

The primary question is whether a local shop can get appropriate material.  Show them the boat and see what material they can get, look at their work via the references they provide, negotiate a price, and then take skins to them a few at a time.  They will use the old skins as a pattern for the new ones.  Continue this process until your pocketbook is satisfied.  Starting with the worst skins makes a lot of sense.

formulaben

And if using someone who normally doesn't do boats, make sure they use stainless steel staples on the upholstery.  Trust me on this...

• Like 2

I am in the process of finishing putting the new skins on my 2006 Response LXI from Gabes Custom Marine Upholstery and recommend them whole-heartedly.  Search Gabes Custom Marine on Facebook.  Beyond contact information - they have a link to a video about skins there.  

The skins are an exact match and beautiful (Malibu vinyl).  They are very busy -  but gave me a timeframe for return of new skins and met the timeline, have answered questions and been accessible by email and phone.  I must say - I sent the skins in February and not sure what the turn time is now - but they met the 4 - 6 week turnaround they quoted me.  The only problem is that I replaced the back seat and trunk pads - and now will have to do the rest that prior to this - "looked fine".