Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cracked hull after storage

Spauls

Hi, I have a 2000 Malibu escape LSV, I had it winterized outdoors at marina and they store it on Wood Blocks. I got call this spring and Marina says when they lifted it off the blocks there was a large crack in the hull, like the wood block went through the hall, approx 2-3ft long. Marina insists they did nothing wrong and drained and stored it properly. They are telling me to go through insurance. insurance says they need a peril, an accident that caused it. No ones taking Blame yet and I’m not sure where Thai is going to end.. approx 5-7K repair . 

has this ever happened to anyone? Did insurance cover it? No one seems to know how this happened 

Edited by Spauls

Where are you located? I have seen this happen to boats stored that did not shed snow, and the weight of the heavy snow load would punch stands through if they were not placed in the correct locations under stringers of the boat.

Never seen it with boats on blocks 2-3 feet long. 

Did the same place that stored it cover it? And how was it covered?

ahopkins22LSV
46 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Tell the insurance company that the Marina obviously dropped your boat onto a wood block

Agreed. Tens of thousands of boats 10x bigger than our Malibu’s are stored on blocked every winter. Some clearly happened. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, asnowman said:

Where are you located? I have seen this happen to boats stored that did not shed snow, and the weight of the heavy snow load would punch stands through if they were not placed in the correct locations under stringers of the boat.

Never seen it with boats on blocks 2-3 feet long. 

Did the same place that stored it cover it? And how was it covered?

In Muskoka ... it is shrink wrapped and stored under a half tin roof.. with lots of other similar boats next to it

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Tell the insurance company that the Marina obviously dropped your boat onto a wood block

Ya well I have no idea what happened, I’m hoping insurance will fight more me because marina won’t take any blame .. but that’s what it looks like happened 

2 minutes ago, Spauls said:

In Muskoka ... it is shrink wrapped and stored under a half tin roof.. with lots of other similar boats next to it

And yes same place winterized it , stored it and covered ... They store many different wakeboard boats, reputable marina, but no one admitting any fault at the moment, so just waiting to hear from insurance, just hoping they help me 

3 minutes ago, Spauls said:

And I don’t know how long the blocks are, I’ve only seen pictures, the crack appears to be 2-3 ft long... Altho I haven’t seen boat yet.... Damn Ontario lock down makes everything more difficult 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Agreed. Tens of thousands of boats 10x bigger than our Malibu’s are stored on blocked every winter. Some clearly happened. 

Ya exactly , it looks bad, like something happened and no one is admitting to making a mistake .. I’m just not sure how it’s going to play out.

does anyone know what the Hull is made of? Like what’s supporting the floor, is it just lumber ? If the wood was rotted would the weight cause a break? I haven’t been told this , just trying to think of any reason

Ya exactly , it looks bad, like something happened and no one is admitting to making a mistake .. I’m just not sure how it’s going to play out.

does anyone know what the Hull is made of? Like what’s supporting the floor, is it just lumber ? If the wood was rotted would the weight cause a break? I haven’t been told this , just trying to think of any reason

All fiberglass. As long as it is 1995-ish or newer.

As for insurance, well, that is what you pay for.  Let them solve it.  Worst case is you sue the marina - a new LSV is what - 200K?

ahopkins22LSV
52 minutes ago, Spauls said:

Im guessing your insurance will work with you. We had a windshield break last summer while trailering and I had no assignable cause to how or why it broke. They paid the claim with no questions asked once I provided the pictures and quote. Besides, lots of storage places and dry docks have clauses in the contract that even if they blatantly drive your boat through a wall or drop it from the top rack, you, not they are responsible for damages to the boat. Crazy I know, but that’s just how it goes. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Im guessing your insurance will work with you. We had a windshield break last summer while trailering and I had no assignable cause to how or why it broke. They paid the claim with no questions asked once I provided the pictures and quote. Besides, lots of storage places and dry docks have clauses in the contract that even if they blatantly drive your boat through a wall or drop it from the top rack, you, not they are responsible for damages to the boat. Crazy I know, but that’s just how it goes. 

Ya end of day if it’s covered Then so be it, I’ve just never made a boat claim before, and hoping they just make it easy 

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

All fiberglass. As long as it is 1995-ish or newer.

As for insurance, well, that is what you pay for.  Let them solve it.  Worst case is you sue the marina - a new LSV is what - 200K?

Ok good to know, Ya I’m just More curious if anyone’s had this happen and can give educated guess to why... ya it’s a 2000 Malibu LSV. 

Not sure how, it says only from a URL? Just have them on my phone

Save the photos to google photos or Dropbox or something online and paste the link (url)

1 minute ago, Spauls said:

Ok good to know, Ya I’m just More curious if anyone’s had this happen and can give educated guess to why... ya it’s a 2000 Malibu LSV. 

Someone dropped it off the forklift 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Spauls said:

Ya end of day if it’s covered Then so be it, I’ve just never made a boat claim before, and hoping they just make it easy 

I had not either. We have ski safe. It was super easy and they were super helpful. Check went out a few days after I made the claim. Couldn’t have gone smoother. 

ahopkins22LSV

The only other thing I can think of is if that area had become water logged and soft. The weight of the boat could have caused that? I feel that’s a stretch of a thought though... either way that’s an insurance claim.

The vertical crack means it probably was a point impact.  Wanna bet the crack matches the blocks on which it was"sitting"? Anyway, yeah - let your insurance fix it (?) and they will subrogate the claim against the marina.  Your insurance will get a marine surveyor - there are lots in your area.