Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Seatback Skin

I just received more skins from Gabe - I've done all my own seat bottoms, but this time I'm tackling the rear seatbacks.  Has anyone done these and have any tips tricks or suggestions?

image.thumb.png.da71c6abb69b6d1b94140cedf5e19e35.png

Posted (edited)

Yes, it really is good detail on removing a skin, but nothing on insfall...specifically the seat backs. I've already done all seat bottoms, but the backs are a little more intricate,  so hoping to learn from another's experience. 

Edited by REHinH20
  • 2 weeks later...
Ottorocket

My seat back skin arrives on Friday for a 2006 RLXI.  I spoke to Gabe Jr. who told me that it is a challenging piece and if there is a place near you with experience, consider taking it there.  He continued that you can do it if you take your time and offered two specific pieces of advice.  Start on the top and make sure that the vinyl goes down the back of the seat far enough that when you open the trunk the back of the seat is covered (make sure you put it back where you found it by using old staple line as reference).  Second was how to cut the backing of the pleated section (on mine but not yours in the photo - it is the lower foam piece in your cushion) to allow the vinyl to stretch more when you pull around the curves.  I am not sure if it is applicable to your seat without the pleats but it might be an area to research before you start - and remember - I have never done this either so take this as presented.  Good luck!