Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear Seatback Skin

REHinH20

I just received more skins from Gabe - I've done all my own seat bottoms, but this time I'm tackling the rear seatbacks.  Has anyone done these and have any tips tricks or suggestions?

image.thumb.png.da71c6abb69b6d1b94140cedf5e19e35.png

Yes, it really is good detail on removing a skin, but nothing on insfall...specifically the seat backs. I've already done all seat bottoms, but the backs are a little more intricate,  so hoping to learn from another's experience. 

Edited by REHinH20
  • 2 weeks later...

My seat back skin arrives on Friday for a 2006 RLXI.  I spoke to Gabe Jr. who told me that it is a challenging piece and if there is a place near you with experience, consider taking it there.  He continued that you can do it if you take your time and offered two specific pieces of advice.  Start on the top and make sure that the vinyl goes down the back of the seat far enough that when you open the trunk the back of the seat is covered (make sure you put it back where you found it by using old staple line as reference).  Second was how to cut the backing of the pleated section (on mine but not yours in the photo - it is the lower foam piece in your cushion) to allow the vinyl to stretch more when you pull around the curves.  I am not sure if it is applicable to your seat without the pleats but it might be an area to research before you start - and remember - I have never done this either so take this as presented.  Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

REHinH20 - I finished up the day before leaving for a trip so sorry for the delay.  Lets just say (if you know Warren Miller) - regarding sending it out to be done - if you don't do it this year, you will only be one year older when you do.  The rear trunk covers were easy and the base cushion of medium difficulty but would do again.  Gabe Jr. was very polite in our discussion - but when he asked if there was somewhere I could take the back to - I got the message - but did not have the time.  So - the summary is that it took me putting it on and trying again 3 times (about 10-12 hours total) and I would rate the job a B- if you didn't know what it is supposed to look like and C- if you do.  Here is a pic of the result (did rear seat/seat back and trunk covers).

image.thumb.png.6ce18edb15b5a2c9c8f0b8decdaa1b32.png

First - per your private message about something hanging up getting the back seat out - there are several places it is attached - my guess this is where you are getting stuck (pun intended).   There are screws in the side carpeted area near the floor that hold the gunwale pads (see photo).  Removing that piece (you have to hunt for the screws buried in the carpeting) you will find the plastic piece that holds the foremost part of the rear back surround to the sides of the boat.  (sorry the photos below should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise but couldn't figure out). The final photo is the plastic piece that is attached to the wrap-around cushion -now out of the boat - that is screwed into the side of the boat you see in the 3rd photo below.  Give me a call as per message if this was not it.

image.png.47b60781305559656842ac748e273820.pngimage.png.b63313b2d3ab0edb9bbfdb041975fbd6.png

image.png.1b7866965ab2055944759b6b91685f56.pngimage.png.c58d903a14b72c5871ed7782b1aa53d5.png

Now the experience of getting the skins on.  The trunk covers - not a problem but not perfect - just 2 or 3 more tries and I can get good at it :dontknow:.  Take your time and follow the process here - ( go to 45:35 for putting the skin on) - the lesson that helped me was to start on each side with staples further back from the edge that are used to keep the skin in place and begin drawing it tight - all of which later are taken out.  Then do it again.

image.png.147824328195e748d4a7198878fd2b15.png

My challenges:

The method of pulling the cover down between the foam cushions escaped me.  Backing up - I had traced a line around where the material that holds the seam down between the foam cushions - but I had difficulty getting it back in evenly.  The video makes it look easy - but honestly - I gave up and on the back cushion did not pull it as tight as it was before.  It looks okay - but that was my big fail.  I think if you start by attaching that inner-material that holds the skin down between the foam pieces you would have an easier time to get it in evenly - then pull tight to and around the top.  I started on the top edge and had to try and wrap it around the edge cushion and had problems getting into the piece to staple it evenly.  

Challenge # 2 - the curved inside corners.  This is where you staple away from the edge on the back and work it down like they do in the video.  It takes time and effort.  My knuckles were raw/cut from pulling on the vinyl.  I had more finger-sticks from stapes than a diabetic at a buffet.  But it is a process you simply have to work through -pulling in a direction, relieving another section and re-stapling to get more slack out, etc.   Start with aligning the center of the skin to the center of the seat-back and then the seams with the indentations of where they were on the old foam. 

ere before:IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.0f8dd8ab3d0bee672470464e422f0a70.JPGIMG_1159.thumb.JPG.6cf4f2846ba574d293c4bc7109c85008.JPG

IMG_1150.thumb.JPG.74981d5778e76bdde914d6dac3301162.JPGIMG_1151.thumb.JPG.3afadaffc093d0ab22ba5d9c89089127.JPG

Once those are in place - you can then begin to work the excess out - pull hard.  Below is the result of my second try to get tight...third was the charm which was helped along with a steamer to take up the final slack.  

IMG_1163.thumb.JPG.e128397dd841aab9ed22761470be2c13.JPGIMG_1162.thumb.JPG.4c6a9d2fdee6e42c685196631b168b9c.JPG

IMG_1168.thumb.JPG.084f20d52d6032bd8d79305510494a82.JPG

One last recommendation - take lots of pictures as you take the skins off.  they will be very helpful when you put the skins back and and reassemble weeks/months after you taken them apart.  

Summary - most people will look at the final job and say it looks great.  I see a great job done on the skins (CANNOT RECOMMEND GABE'S ENOUGH - excellent work, when they said and live discussion to provide support) and a very difficult job done with required persistence that resulted in acceptable results in which I see several faults.  But - much money was saved.  However - driver's seat will go to Gabes this winter - not sure how to approach motor box...but I may do combing pads (if flat and square - not bad - if curved and convoluted - outsource).  Whether you do this yourself - or pay for the install - it is worth the effort/cost relative to the transformation it brings to the boat.  In terms of the more difficult pieces - my opinion after doing this is that it is worth the money to pay for the installation by a quality shop that knows what it is doing.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the wrapup!  Our boats are a little different.  I have 3 pieces to my sundeck, but those all went easily, since I've already done all my cushion bottoms, I'm up the curve.  I'll look along the carpeted piece, but it's really this piece that I think has me wedged in,image.png.873ec5c6cbb1c6a5548061277af1945a.png

so I'm looking tonight to see if i can get in the gunwale to release at least one side.  I might be calling you but hoping I can get it loose.  Again, thanks for the assist!!

There were also screws through the gunwale into the sides of the back wrap around...probably the most difficult part of of in/out.  I actually replaced the screws with a bolt head so when I have to take them back out for carpet in the off season, it will be easier with a socket than a screwdriver. 

Finally -   once I wrenched my hand up into the gunnel to release one of the side cushions it came free.  Found a guy locally that was in between to full boat interiors that could knock it out in a few days.  Much thanks for your help.