Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cover compliant / Vinyl Oak Pollen stain - remedy on 2020 LSV

Superdice7

My boat was at the dealer for warranty work this spring.  It sat outside for a month and I snapped these photos in April after driving by. Needless to say, the factory cover did not perform despite all 3 support poles being in place.  Questions:  (1) should I  add additional poles to the cover to eliminate the low spots?   It shouldn’t happen on a boat 11 months old.  Do I have a warranty argument? (2). Need suggestions to remove the yellowing on my vinyl.    The bling vinyl sauce and it did nothing.   I don’t want to get too aggressive. Awaiting dealer’s response.  Always something....  thanks in advance.

E3BDB32E-C212-4319-A4A6-93FE6B2DDDE9.jpeg

16E7B245-3612-4CE5-B5B8-DC3267994A08.jpeg

09E0EC3C-0107-4CB7-B936-F1F9DFA28464.jpeg

81CE138F-95B9-4FA9-81CC-A92750B45A7A.jpeg

Edited by Superdice7
Title

I’d be pretty upset if that was my dealer. I would absolutely make them take responsibility for the stained vinyl. Keep us posted and sorry that happened!!  

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, dwc032 said:

I’d be pretty upset if that was my dealer. I would absolutely make them take responsibility for the stained vinyl. Keep us posted and sorry that happened!!  

I agree this is between you and the dealer. To me, that cover was not put on correctly. It should have never have looked like that with the poles and hang tight set. Poles were probably set too low and or the hang tight not tight enough. 

That said about the stains, I have bad oak pollen too and will get those every so often. Day in the sun does help a ton but sometimes they linger for awhile. 

Did you use the vinyl cleaner or just the conditioner? The conditioner isn’t really going to clean anything unless it is just dust. Try soaking the spots in cleaner and scrub light crazy with a terry towel.

• Like 2

I agree with all comments offered thus far.  

Certainly try a cleaner with a vinyl brush.  I use a natural horse hair brush for things like this and it does better than simply a cloth.  On my '06 I do so regularly because it's old original vinyl and needs a lot of love every year.  After, treat it well with conditioner and let that baby sit in the sun an it should come out.  

30 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I agree with all comments offered thus far.  

Certainly try a cleaner with a vinyl brush.  I use a natural horse hair brush for things like this and it does better than simply a cloth.  On my '06 I do so regularly because it's old original vinyl and needs a lot of love every year.  After, treat it well with conditioner and let that baby sit in the sun an it should come out.  

Only thing I would add would to make sure it is a soft brush. If it is too stiff you run the risk of damaging the UV protecting top layer.

You could try 303 to clean it, I'm not a fan of vinyl sauce.

I have the same exact boat/cover mine sits under a crabapple tree and never looks like that.

I only use the pole in the bow, I'd guess it was not ratcheted down enough on the back so the cover slid forward and made the low spots. 

4 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Only thing I would add would to make sure it is a soft brush. If it is too stiff you run the risk of damaging the UV protecting top layer.

I agree.  The natural horse hair brushes are pretty soft.  I've had good luck with them in the past on other boats.  

Happened to us on our 19”.  Shop manager had me use soft scrub and a very mild blue scrubby pad.  At first I was like, what??  But he was right.  Put some on the stain and rub it around with your finger and let it sit for a bit, then lightly scrub.  Between this and the sun it will go away. 

10 hours ago, mk2driver said:

303 Vinyl cleaner is one of the only cleaners that is authorized by Malibu for their interiors as an FYI. 

Yup, but that won’t do anything with those stains!