Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding aux input or bluetooth?

uk_exile

Due to age the head unit in 03 RXLi doesn’t have an aux input or Bluetooth. Ideally wanting something that’ll use the existing remote.

Currently has a Clarion M335 head unit mounted in arm rest and a wired M202RC remote on plate below the dash to right of steering wheel. There’s a Fusion FE-505 amplifier behind observer seat. Looks like the original 4 factory speakers.

I’m thinking it’s too old so I’ll need to replace both head unit and remote. Any suggestions?

Not wanting to change speakers, add subs etc. Basic is fine as not wanting to blast everyone. Is having amp there any advantage anyway? I’m thinking I could remove it too. We won’t use CDs and the lake has at best very bad radio reception so it’ll be for music from mobile phone.

Are there other options rather than new head unit and remote? Media player? I could replace the remote mount with a bigger mount and put one there. Are there any that are smaller diameter than this style? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001387846049.html?spm=a2g0o.ams_97944.0.0.3307pUAspUAsNb&scm=1007.26694.140541.0&scm_id=1007.26694.140541.0&scm-url=1007.26694.140541.0&pvid=1aa4227e-5e32-4dcd-9a44-9f4068aec635&fromRankId=1922748&_t=fromRankId:1922748

Your only other option before replacing would be an FM modulator setup, but quality won't be very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Sumind-Hands-Free/dp/B0756WZ2V3/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+fm+input&qid=1621543628&sr=8-8

For $25, may be worth not messing with the rest and trying it out.  

You want to keep the amp if you have it.  It will provide much more power to the speakers than just a head unit.  No reason to remove, especially if you have it already.

There are lots of different head units out there with bluetooth, and in single DIN configuration.  Just find the best deal with the features you like, and get the matching remote.  You can go to a setup that is JUST a remote/small head unit thing, but if you are already setup for a DIN head unit i would just replace.

2 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Have you considered upgrading to another BT -enabled Clarion stereo and adding https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020MW1/Clarion-MW1.html assuming it will fit in the existing remote location.

No I haven't has thought I'd ask knowledgible forum members for advice rather than salesmen wanting to push their product. It looks to be similar size to the existing remote.

No brand preference so open to any brand. Having a remote of some type would be good as the driver arm rest location makes volume control a PITA, however I guess we'll be able to change volume via phone so no biggie if new setup doesn't have one. 

Edited by uk_exile
1 minute ago, uk_exile said:

No I haven't has thought I'd ask knowledgible forum members for advice rather than salesmen wanting to push their product.

Are you trying to be  a wanker?  I merely suggested that staying in the same brand with BT might be an option.

3 hours ago, dhcomp said:

Your only other option before replacing would be an FM modulator setup, but quality won't be very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Sumind-Hands-Free/dp/B0756WZ2V3/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bluetooth+fm+input&qid=1621543628&sr=8-8

For $25, may be worth not messing with the rest and trying it out.  

You want to keep the amp if you have it.  It will provide much more power to the speakers than just a head unit.  No reason to remove, especially if you have it already.

There are lots of different head units out there with bluetooth, and in single DIN configuration.  Just find the best deal with the features you like, and get the matching remote.  You can go to a setup that is JUST a remote/small head unit thing, but if you are already setup for a DIN head unit i would just replace.

Hadn't thought of a transmitter. I think I'll opt for something a bit more elegant. Thanks though.

I'm not a stereo tech person. What's the advantage of an amp over just using head unit alone?  We don't listen loud and the speakers are basic so won't the seperate amp just be draining battery faster due to extra losses?

4 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Are you trying to be  a wanker?  I merely suggested that staying in the same brand with BT might be an option.

No.   I replied I hadn't looked at them because I hadn't. Nothing more than that intended.

3 hours ago, uk_exile said:

Hadn't thought of a transmitter. I think I'll opt for something a bit more elegant. Thanks though.

I'm not a stereo tech person. What's the advantage of an amp over just using head unit alone?  We don't listen loud and the speakers are basic so won't the seperate amp just be draining battery faster due to extra losses?

You get more, cleaner power into your speakers. Will you notice at low volumes? Probably not. But it’s a step down in quality to remove something you already have. Not worth the trouble. At low volumes, you won’t notice battery drain anymore with an amp than just head unit. 

the suggestion above to try to stick with a clarion head unit that is compatible with your existing remote is a great idea. Check the plug style on your remote, and see if it looks similar to the new ones. 

you may even get lucky and find clarion kept the same wiring connector.  At that point, it’s literally plug and play. 

Edited by dhcomp

I emailed Clarion Australia (as that's the closest location to NZ) asking if the M202RC is compatible with any currently available head units that have bluetooth or aux input.

I'm not hopeful as seems like it's a model made early to mid 2000s

6 minutes ago, uk_exile said:

I emailed Clarion Australia (as that's the closest location to NZ) asking if the M202RC is compatible with any currently available head units that have bluetooth or aux input.

I'm not hopeful as seems like it's a model made early to mid 2000s

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/clarion_marine_remote_application.pdf Also yours is a 6 pin remote.  The new ones are 8 pin.  But there is an adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/CCUMRA1-Marine-Wired-Remote-Adapter/dp/B00M5DRJ90

Thank you. It's good to know there's an adaptor as Clarion AU have just replied with this very brief email response "None of the current models are compatible with your cables or remote." 

Based on that I was leaning towards making a new mount for one of those circular case media players.

Alternative was buy whatever brand new head unit without a remote and using phone volume only (no need to make a new mount). Or I buy a new remote to match the new head unit and make a new mount.

But with adaptor cable being available opens up options to continue to use existing remote with a new Clarion head unit. I'll have a search what Clarion head units are available as using the existing remote is convenient and no need to make a new mount :thumbup:    

Oh well, that's keep the existing remote option out the window then. Back to thinking about my options of a media player and new mount, or new head unit and likely a remote & mount. 

Edited by uk_exile
1 hour ago, uk_exile said:

Oh well, that's keep the existing remote option out the window then. Back to thinking about my options of a media player and new mount, or new head unit and likely a remote & mount. 

The PDF table I posted above has all the available options.  Frankly, you would be better off just getting a whole new stereo and remote.  The new stuff is so much better.  Or go super cheap and get a BT-enabled stereo and forget the wired remote - use a BT remote.

I didn't know there were such things as bluetooth remotes. Thought they were IR or wired. That'll make it much easier!