Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Wedge Issues

10 hours ago, TaylorM said:

Bums me out to hear you are having such a prolonged difficult time with an otherwise kick butt piece of machinery. It sounds like you have been very patient, however, your frustration is palpable. If I were in your shoes, oh wait, I have been in your shoes, with not fully functional systems on one of these $$$$ pieces of machinery, I would get your boat back and enjoy it to the extent that it still functions. I know you know this, as others have said, these boats can still make a pretty decent wave without the wedge. After reading your frustrations this morning, I loaded my 2021 23LSV, same as yours, and did not deploy the wedge. For what it is worth, I have attached the video of a no wedge wave, just like all the other "lift and leaners" out there. Back to me being in your shoes, I had issues with my boat last year, that caused some frustration, but never to the point of leaving my boat with the dealer when I wanted to be using it. My suggestion is, get your boat back, use it and see if you can schedule getting work done on your boat when there is a period of time you will not be able to use it, like when you take that vacation to Maui. Me being without my boat, when I can be using it is unacceptable. Not my intention to pile on, but I think you could definitely benefit by using your boat, even though it is not at it's full potential.

Thanks for sharing.  I get it.  So far, I've lost effectively a week of good weather.  This week is going to be one of the best since the season started.  The problem that I have with continued trips back and forth to the dealer is for multiple reasons.  KIds schedules with sports ( we have 4 kids active in sports), and the dealer being an hour away makes for tight timing when juggling that and work.  Generally, I can only get to the dealer on Saturday mornings.  Unfortunately, even if I had the boat this week, I'd have little time to use it.  So by goal, wedge fixed or not, is to pick it up this Saturday morning.  I was hopeful that Malibu would have a fix for this prior to my trip to Norris Lake, but I'm increasingly losing confidence that it will happen that way.  

Again, this is simply the icing on the cake with this boat purchase.  It's all around been bad, all the way from the condition in which it was delivered to my dealer and the condition in which it was delivered to me.  

It is a drag that you are in the spot you are, with dealer and everything else. Have you had a chance to do a Malibu survey? I have been sent a couple surveys and answered them honestly and for some reason I got a call from a Malibu representative, directly, concerned about the answers I put on the survey. Was a good opportunity to get some sh@#$ on the table. Seems like you have been talking to lots of different folks, but maybe an honest survey will get some action in a different direction. At least, you can clear the air about the handling by the dealer. I wish it was smooth sailing for everyone!

1 hour ago, TaylorM said:

It is a drag that you are in the spot you are, with dealer and everything else. Have you had a chance to do a Malibu survey? I have been sent a couple surveys and answered them honestly and for some reason I got a call from a Malibu representative, directly, concerned about the answers I put on the survey. Was a good opportunity to get some sh@#$ on the table. Seems like you have been talking to lots of different folks, but maybe an honest survey will get some action in a different direction. At least, you can clear the air about the handling by the dealer. I wish it was smooth sailing for everyone!

Yes, I have completed the survey and it did result in a call from Malibu.  I've been in contact with them weekly since the survey response and have included photographs of the quality concerns both from a performance perspective and an aesthetic perspective.  Malibu has been helpful, the dealer has been more responsive than they were prior to the survey, and they have been much better than what my experience was with them last year for service, so I'm pleased with that.  In my initial discussion with Malibu, they said the boat should not have left the factory in the condition it was in.  It also should not have left the dealer like that, so hopefully this experience is a learning one for all involved.  

At this point, the Malibu techs are not sure what to do to fix the issue other than another software update.  While I understand I can still use my boat, but can't use the wedge, if they can't find a solution this week I'm picking the boat up so I can use it.  The upsetting thing to me is that both Malibu and the dealer have been paid for a product that I as the consumer cannot use in the manner in which it's intended to be used as it was designed, engineered, and built.  Regardless of performance without the wedge, I simply want what I paid for and that's not what I have.    

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Slayer said:

Yes, I have completed the survey and it did result in a call from Malibu.  I've been in contact with them weekly since the survey response and have included photographs of the quality concerns both from a performance perspective and an aesthetic perspective.  Malibu has been helpful, the dealer has been more responsive than they were prior to the survey, and they have been much better than what my experience was with them last year for service, so I'm pleased with that.  In my initial discussion with Malibu, they said the boat should not have left the factory in the condition it was in.  It also should not have left the dealer like that, so hopefully this experience is a learning one for all involved.  

At this point, the Malibu techs are not sure what to do to fix the issue other than another software update.  While I understand I can still use my boat, but can't use the wedge, if they can't find a solution this week I'm picking the boat up so I can use it.  The upsetting thing to me is that both Malibu and the dealer have been paid for a product that I as the consumer cannot use in the manner in which it's intended to be used as it was designed, engineered, and built.  Regardless of performance without the wedge, I simply want what I paid for and that's not what I have.    

Yep. I agree 100 percent with the frustration of not having the product you paid for not performing as it should. Hopefully you can get use from you boat, while you, your dealer and Malibu find an equitable solution that keeps you, as the consumer, happy. I have been down this road and it can be maddening, however, I think you will get this figured out. 

32 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Tell 'em you need them to buy you a wakefoil while you wait for the fix, so that you can ride a baby sized wave?

Funny.....

I suggested that they build me a new boat and I'll drop mine off at the factory when I'm down that way for vacation in a few weeks.....they're not overly receptive to that idea......

18 minutes ago, bretcole said:

At least you own another boat.

That's kind of irrelevant, though.  Our other boat has only one purpose......slalom skiing.

UPDATE:  The techs are now going through the entire wiring harness.  I've asked them several times if they've done continuity tests.  They say they have, but if they're checking the whole harness now, I assume that wasn't accurate.   

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
59 minutes ago, Slayer said:

That's kind of irrelevant, though.  Our other boat has only one purpose......slalom skiing.

UPDATE:  The techs are now going through the entire wiring harness.  I've asked them several times if they've done continuity tests.  They say they have, but if they're checking the whole harness now, I assume that wasn't accurate.   

I know this does not help your situation at all right now but I’m unfortunately quite familiar in the cases that you can pass a continuity test but still have a bad connection that does not allow proper function. Just FWIW and hopefully this is the light at the end of your tunnel. Any issues with a new boat are absolutely frustrating, but in my experiences, they are quickly buried by the happy times and amazing memories made. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I know this does not help your situation at all right now but I’m unfortunately quite familiar in the cases that you can pass a continuity test but still have a bad connection that does not allow proper function. Just FWIW and hopefully this is the light at the end of your tunnel. Any issues with a new boat are absolutely frustrating, but in my experiences, they are quickly buried by the happy times and amazing memories made. 

Dude, I get it and you know me well enough to understand that.  Like I’ve said several times, this could and should have been discovered prior to my taking delivery of the boat.  It’s an example of poor functional testing both at Malibu and at the dealer.  The approach taken by both in resolving something that never should have occurred has been disappointing.  

Imagine starting your new boat for the first time and seeing water spray all over the engine compartment.....how can a dealer, or Malibu for that matter, turn a boat over to a customer like that?  They were made aware of it immediately.  But I fixed it, not them.  That and the wedge issue alone are enough to turn me off.  The rest of the quality issues can be taken care of in the winter.  The list is long.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Dude, I get it and you know me well enough to understand that.  Like I’ve said several times, this could and should have been discovered prior to my taking delivery of the boat.  It’s an example of poor functional testing both at Malibu and at the dealer.  The approach taken by both in resolving something that never should have occurred has been disappointing.  

Imagine starting your new boat for the first time and seeing water spray all over the engine compartment.....how can a dealer, or Malibu for that matter, turn a boat over to a customer like that?  They were made aware of it immediately.  But I fixed it, not them.  That and the wedge issue alone are enough to turn me off.  The rest of the quality issues can be taken care of in the winter.  The list is long.

I wasn’t trying to justify any condition of your boat or that it is acceptable. I agree it’s not acceptable. I was just trying to shed some light on my experience and the automated continuity testing we do and that even though it seems like a never ending process, the time to come is much longer and much better. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I wasn’t trying to justify any condition of your boat or that it is acceptable. I agree it’s not acceptable. I was just trying to shed some light on my experience and the automated continuity testing we do and that even though it seems like a never ending process, the time to come is much longer and much better. 

I understand all that.  I do.  

I’m increasingly concerned because I’m 3 weeks into this, have a Norris trip in 2 weeks, and really would like some time in the boat prior to that trip.  With the current approach to troubleshooting the problem, my level of confidence that a fix is discovered goes down daily.  

Another day and yet another failed attempt.  

Update......

So yet again, another day, another attempted repair and no change in the wedge problem.  Yesterday's attempt was a software update.  Today's attempt was testing the entire wiring harness for breaks, shorts, etc. and nothing.  

• Sad 1
27 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Is it time to replace the "brains" that control the wedge and everything else in the boat...?

This has already been done.

Below is a run down, in order of operation, of how and what has been done:

1. Software update
  2. Replace sensors
  3. Software update
  4. Replace control module
  5. Replace entire assembly
  6. Software update
  7. Validate wiring harness is intact without shorts

Between each of these attempts has been the dealer waiting on Malibu for a solution.  Apparently, they can only attempt one thing at a time.  

I'm now being told that the dealer is waiting for direction from Malibu.

So, the black box that controls the screens and sport knob.  While the control module is the brains for the wedge, there is something else that seems to be causing it to deploy upon starting.  Flash that?  I don't know, just thinking there has to be something else.  Sorry for your troubles.

@Slayer You should probably chime in on the "Patiently Waiting" topic and give all of them a reason to be thankful they don't have a new boat yet.  Sorry for your troubles.  We leave in two weeks for vacation as well and I'd be a  nervous wreck if I were in your shoes.  I'm going to be an optimist here and say that you're up and running by your trip.  Only so many parts they can swap before the problem is found.  It can't be that hard.

58 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

So, the black box that controls the screens and sport knob.  While the control module is the brains for the wedge, there is something else that seems to be causing it to deploy upon starting.  Flash that?  I don't know, just thinking there has to be something else.  Sorry for your troubles.

I would think there’s something else as well.  I spoke with Malibu just about an hour ago and they claim it’s a pinched wire somewhere.  But, the dealer is telling me that they’ve already gone through the harness.  Something seems off here.

40 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

@Slayer You should probably chime in on the "Patiently Waiting" topic and give all of them a reason to be thankful they don't have a new boat yet.  Sorry for your troubles.  We leave in two weeks for vacation as well and I'd be a  nervous wreck if I were in your shoes.  I'm going to be an optimist here and say that you're up and running by your trip.  Only so many parts they can swap before the problem is found.  It can't be that hard.

When I spoke with Malibu this afternoon I expressed just that.  I told them I have zero confidence in this boat right now.  I tend to be an optimistic person myself, but having had so little time on the boat and having not been behind it gives me pause.

15 hours ago, Slayer said:

I would think there’s something else as well.  I spoke with Malibu just about an hour ago and they claim it’s a pinched wire somewhere.  But, the dealer is telling me that they’ve already gone through the harness.  Something seems off here.

If Malibu thinks it's a pinched wire, then they need to send another new harness and connect it across the floor of the boat as a quick test.  I see, maybe, 5 possible failure points in this chain.  It can't be that difficult.   The power wedge has been offered for 15+ years.   The order they are troubleshooting this seems crazy but I guess they're using the "probable culprit theory."  

I'm a technical person (building automation and communication controls) and I'd want to be connected to the system to see what's happening when the start button is hit.  The simple "drop wedge trigger/command/prompt/relay" has to coming somewhere.  If they think "dead or open short" it has to be at the main controls or tied into the start button because I don't believe it's simply happening with power to the dash but only on the key start.  (Forgive as I didn't read the entire thread)  They are trying individual pieces of new components but why not try all them now?  New control module, new sensors, new harness, new software and new assembly instead of old mixed in.  They could mock it up on a bench outside the boat.

Maybe fly @martinarcher up and I bet he has it figured out by lunch.

32 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

If Malibu thinks it's a pinched wire, then they need to send another new harness and connect it across the floor of the boat as a quick test.  I see, maybe, 5 possible failure points in this chain.  It can't be that difficult.   The power wedge has been offered for 15+ years.   The order they are troubleshooting this seems crazy but I guess they're using the "probable culprit theory."  

I'm a technical person (building automation and communication controls) and I'd want to be connected to the system to see what's happening when the start button is hit.  The simple "drop wedge trigger/command/prompt/relay" has to coming somewhere.  If they think "dead or open short" it has to be at the main controls or tied into the start button because I don't believe it's simply happening with power to the dash but only on the key start.  (Forgive as I didn't read the entire thread)  They are trying individual pieces of new components but why not try all them now?  New control module, new sensors, new harness, new software and new assembly instead of old mixed in.  They could mock it up on a bench outside the boat.

Maybe fly @martinarcher up and I bet he has it figured out by lunch.

I completely agree with you.  Having spent the last 25 years in the construction industry and having familiarity with BAS and Controls systems, I think as you do.  

I did, in a phone call with Malibu CS and a couple of techs, request that they do as you suggested.  I asked them to send ALL parts that may relate to this issue so they can be tested rather than try one, it doesn't work, try another.  They (Malibu) has yet to send a new harness for a mock up as you suggest and as I have requested.  It's like they're chasing a ghost on this and it's terribly frustrating.  

So after several discussions with both Malibu and the dealer, we are expecting a new harness to be delivered tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed that this is the fix.  Otherwise I’m asking them to buy the boat back.  It’s been at the dealer for nearly a month!

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

So after several discussions with both Malibu and the dealer, we are expecting a new harness to be delivered tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed that this is the fix.  Otherwise I’m asking them to buy the boat back.  It’s been at the dealer for nearly a month!

I mean if that doesn't fix it what in the world is possibly left to fiddle with?  I'd hope that they will test the harness first (like just lay it across the cabin, plugged in to the right spots) to verify that it works.  

6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I mean if that doesn't fix it what in the world is possibly left to fiddle with?  I'd hope that they will test the harness first (like just lay it across the cabin, plugged in to the right spots) to verify that it works.  

Great question!!  I have no clue.  If it doesn’t fix it, then we have other issues to deal with.

I asked the dealer to test it prior to installing it and they confirmed that’s their intent.  We shall see.