Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Wedge Issues

Question.....

Any new 2021 owners out there having wedge issues??  Since the first day I got my boat wet, I've had consistent wedge issues.  I went through 8 of the 10 hours prior to the 10-hour service with these issues.  I'm just curious if I'm the only one out there with this problem.  

The problem is that the wedge deploys immediately upon pushing the power button on the dash.  Once I'm moving, I can stow the wedge but the boat thinks it's stuck in position 5 thereby setting the high speed wedge down warning when the boat reaches 25 MPH.  The dealer tried connecting the redundant sensor and the problem remained and actually was worse.  They were able to get a wedge sensor from Malibu thinking that was the problem.  After installing the sensor, the problem persisted.  I'm now told that they will have to order an entirely new wedge assembly for the boat but the are "waiting on Malibu".  I presume the wait is they are waiting to get confirmation that Malibu will cover the cost of the wedge?  I'm not sure if that's the case or not.  

12 minutes ago, NWBU said:

No issues with my wedge through the 10 hour service. Had some O2 sensors throwing codes so the ECM was updated, but that's the only mechanical/system related item.

Ours had the software updates installed as well.  Just a drag that this is going on and the dealer has to wait for a approval from Malibu to get a part that's keeping me off the water.  They suggested that they could disable the wedge and give me the boat, but then I can't really use it as designed, so what's the point?

2 minutes ago, NWBU said:

If it's going to be too long to fix, you'll have to join the crew that swears the wave is better without the wedge. 

Indeed.  Not sure I agree with that but we shall see.

I have an update on this.  I spoke with the dealer late last week.  Malibu is sending them a complete new wedge assembly.  So, i'm hopeful that I'll be picking the boat up on Friday afternoon / early evening and even more hopeful that I'll be problem free.  It will be nice to have the boat since the last time I was on it it was 48* degrees!  

• Like 3

My hope has turned to disappointment.  The new wedge assembly didn't solve my problems.  So I'm now told that it's either the control module or a wiring harness.  I had a conversation with Malibu customer service and a couple techs yesterday morning.  I requested that rather than troubleshoot with only one solution each week that they actually send the dealer ALL parts for ALL possible solutions so I can get back on the water.  Not sure where this is headed currently.  All I know is that I own a boat that is not fully functional and not in my possession at the moment.  

• Sad 2
martinarcher

Bummer.  As a controls engineer I figured the wedge assembly was a dead end (unless the sensor is mechanically mounted incorrectly).  The control module does not have an accurate wedge position so it has to be the sensor, the wiring, the control module reading the sensor, or a noise/EMI issue.   Sounds like the new list of parts is headed in the right direction.  Hope you're sorted and back on the water quick. 

You get to keep the old wedge?  I've got an old Sunsetter that would look pretty awesome with a power wedge.  :) 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

Bummer.  As a controls engineer I figured the wedge assembly was a dead end (unless the sensor is mechanically mounted incorrectly).  The control module does not have an accurate wedge position so it has to be the sensor, the wiring, the control module reading the sensor, or a noise/EMI issue.   Sounds like the new list of parts is headed in the right direction.  Hope you're sorted and back on the water quick. 

You get to keep the old wedge?  I've got an old Sunsetter that would look pretty awesome with a power wedge.  :) 

Pretty sure I don't get to keep it.  I'll ask for you, though!  However I'm not sure PW-3 would fit on the old SS without some significant mods, which you're well capable of.  

I'm not a controls engineer but have enough intelligence to understand what you're saying.  Sensors have been replaced.  No dice.  Wedge replaced, no dice, so we'll see what they do now.  Malibu seemed genuinely concerned, but it's still unacceptable. 

• Like 1
martinarcher

I doubt they would give it to you either but I'll have the TIG ready just in case.  :) 

For sure frustrating but I'm glad they are genuinely concerned.  I hate it when our customers have trouble and my goal is always try to find root cause to learn from the issue and eliminate it so no one else has to deal with it.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

So I'm now told that it's either the control module or a wiring harness.

This would make more sense to me.  A sensor is generally easy to test, so they should be able to figure out if it has a clean signal all the way back to the module. 

I would also think that the vendor would have some factory test software to load in the control module that could help to easily diagnose this issue.  Malibu may not have that software available, so it would require a reachback to the vendor.  Since you appear to have a one-off problem, that probably won't happen.

It would seem strange that I have a one off problem.  My dealer reports having several wedge "issues" with other customers but they haven't been as forthcoming with what said issues are. 

2 minutes ago, Slayer said:

It would seem strange that I have a one off problem.  My dealer reports having several wedge "issues" with other customers but they haven't been as forthcoming with what said issues are. 

I see.  It would make a lot of sense to me for a wedge to be a completely analog system, but these days engineers can't seem to stop themselves from taking things from very simple to ridiculously complicated.  I would not be surprised to learn that they have a digital bus involved and the signals are getting messed up somewhere.

The first thing I would have tried to diagnose is whether the command module is actually commanding the wedge down at power up, or if some other glitch is making it happen.  In the hopeful event that it is still an analog system (even if it is PCM or PWM controlled), this is a no-brainer to figure out.

55 minutes ago, justgary said:

I see.  It would make a lot of sense to me for a wedge to be a completely analog system, but these days engineers can't seem to stop themselves from taking things from very simple to ridiculously complicated.  I would not be surprised to learn that they have a digital bus involved and the signals are getting messed up somewhere.

The first thing I would have tried to diagnose is whether the command module is actually commanding the wedge down at power up, or if some other glitch is making it happen.  In the hopeful event that it is still an analog system (even if it is PCM or PWM controlled), this is a no-brainer to figure out.

One would think, right!?  Apparently not.

Got an update this morning from the dealer.  The power module was received by them and installed yesterday.  The problem has not been resolved.  Additional components, wiring harness, I believe, are due to be received this morning and will be installed.  If that doesn't fix the problem, the dealer is going back to Malibu.  And I remain boat less....

Stow the wedge > disconnect power > use the boat?  I would take a boat with no wedge over no boat at all.

Edited by pauley71
  • Like 2
58 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

Stow the wedge > disconnect power > use the boat?  I would take a boat with no wedge over no boat at all.

I agree.  

If the problem persists, that's exactly what I intend to do.  I'm an hour each way from my dealer, so multiple back and forth trips during our short Michigan season isn't particularly attractive.  Also, considering that a boat without a wedge is not what I purchased, I find myself pretty damn irritated by it.  Yes, I'm happy to have a boat, I get that and don't need anyone chiming in saying it, but I have a boat that doesn't perform as it should.  I'd love to have a boat to use while mine is going through endless troubleshooting, but the dealer isn't interested in doing that and if they were, they don't have any boats for me to use.   

The other challenge for me is that this wedge problem is simply the icing on the cake with this boat order.  The entire process was terrible.  The condition of the boat as delivered from Malibu to the dealer was terrible.  The condition of the boat when delivered from the dealer tells me that the dealer didn't care, so the entire experience has been sour at best.  It's the first new boat we've ever purchased and we ordered it for many reasons.  I'm well aware the other manufacturers also have problems like this, I get it.  Hand made, yes, I get that too.  Regardless, with a capacity of 5,000 ish boats per year, the additional hour of inspection for proper operation not only at the factory, but at the dealer shouldn't be a desired luxury, it should be standard practice.      

• Like 3

I totally agree, it's painful to read this and other threads of poor build quality that likely would have been caught with a little more attention to detail. Regardless of all circumstances, hand made, high demand...ect.. That should all should be factored into the price of these to deliver a high quality product without fail.  

• Like 2

The 4th shipment of parts was received and installed today and still no fix.  Apparently, the techs at Malibu don’t know what to do.  I’m being told that they’re going to send yet another software update but I now lack confidence that it will fix the issue.  Super disappointed.  

@Slayer is the dealer at least water testing to confirm with you or are you having to do four hours of driving at each step (an hour each way with a drop off round trip and a pickup round trip)?

They are water testing.  I’ve left the boat with them because we, the dealer and I, thought the initial replacement of sensors would fix it.  So they’ve had the boat for about 3 weeks now.