Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reinstalling Sunsetter mufflers- have a question

Hi Guys-

I am reinstalling the exhaust system on my '01 Sunsetter Lxi and am trying to remember how the mufflers were supported...Is it only by the upper hoses to the exhaust risers?  My mufflers have small flat spots worn in them at the stern end where they have rested on the hull over the years.  I am replacing the upper hoses- are they what locate and support the front of the mufflers?  I know there wasn't any before but I have thought of gluing some rubber strips to the bottoms/sides of the mufflers to keep them from rubbing on the hull.

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

53 minutes ago, hmh800 said:

Hi Guys-

I am reinstalling the exhaust system on my '01 Sunsetter Lxi and am trying to remember how the mufflers were supported...Is it only by the upper hoses to the exhaust risers?  My mufflers have small flat spots worn in them at the stern end where they have rested on the hull over the years.  I am replacing the upper hoses- are they what locate and support the front of the mufflers?  I know there wasn't any before but I have thought of gluing some rubber strips to the bottoms/sides of the mufflers to keep them from rubbing on the hull.

As I recall, that is what holds them in place.  I would not tighten the rear clamps before you get the risers situated and the hood back in place so it will all fit.  The cross bar tends to bind against the exhaust hoses a little too much if you let them get too far aft.

• Like 1

Thanks Gary that's what I thought.  I have the mufflers pushed all the way back on the hoses right now but I'm thinking that's not right.  Good call on installing the cross bar.  Seems to not matter how many pictures I take when disassembling I never have the one I want when I'm putting stuff back together.  I appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

@hmh800 - the mufflers are supported up off the floor by the exhaust hoses as you recall.  Good idea to add a little bumper / rub strip of rubber or EVA foam to minimize any rubbing wear.  Also important in your case, keep them away from the HDS box and verify the tiller swings free before you button it all up.

• Like 1

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but when I was cleaning the old gasket off between the manifold and riser, there was blue sealant on both surfaces.  I don’t believe the manifolds have ever been apart before now.  Any reason not to use some rtv at least around the water passages?  In addition to new basket of course.

I have the same boat and am pretty sure there are some foam/rubber pads under the mufflers. I've never actually removed the mufflers but have spent time back there replacing steering cable, fuel hoses, etc.  

46 minutes ago, hmh800 said:

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but when I was cleaning the old gasket off between the manifold and riser, there was blue sealant on both surfaces.  I don’t believe the manifolds have ever been apart before now.  Any reason not to use some rtv at least around the water passages?  In addition to new basket of course.

I used rtv Red with the new gasket

1 minute ago, John I. said:

I have the same boat and am pretty sure there are some foam/rubber pads under the mufflers. I've never actually removed the mufflers but have spent time back there replacing steering cable, fuel hoses, etc.  

Yes, my 99 SSLXI has small rectangles of rubber padding under the spot where the mufflers would touch the hull