Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat cover "melting" the seats.

highfivemf

I have a really nice fitting black boat cover that melts the seat glue during the summer when on. I was told its because its a black cover. The seats get brown and ugly, but after it gets uncovered for a bit it go's away. Will vents added to the cover help this? Maybe a silver or white tarp on top to reflect the heat? 

Ah yes, the dreaded vinyl discoloring.

Over the years I have heard a few things about whats to blame. And yes, one of them had to do with the adhesive. 

A grey cover should help. We have had a few customers that have gone that route with success.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:35 AM, hethj7 said:

Putting a towel over the seats where the cover is most  tightly contacting them as you cover also seems to help.  

Having some stand off or a towel will help. I had the walk over on my 2010 and used to put one of the kids footballs on the walk over to keep the cover off of the vinyl. A rolled up jacket worked in a pinch.

I tried everything to keep the cover off the vinyl, and in the end still got the red spots on the rear hatches and anywhere close to the cover, only took a few hours to go back to normal but hated it.  I had a black cover, but I'm not sure a grey one would have fully stopped the problem from happening.  It still happened with boat covered under a canopy, so for me it wasn't the direct sunlight on the cover, but rather the heat.

• 3 weeks later...

been there, done all of that. Whatever you do don't use a lot of cleaners to try to fix it, nothing will help. It's a bacterium, not adhesive. no amount of keeping the cover from touching, no towel barrier or anything like that will help. Sun is your friend now unless you try the methods in the link below.

https://www.boatingmag.com/pink-stains-on-boat-seats-fix/

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I know I'm late to this thread, but if people are searching for this topic and looking for a solution...

I purchased my boat with the original cover a couple years ago. At that time the seats were stained from the sun and the OEM Black Malibu cover. Since then, I have been using a simple water resistant stadium blanket on my rear seats. I cover the seats with the blanket, then put the cover over the blanket. I don't worry about keeping any type of space between the seats/blanket/cover. They are all on each other. Never had a problem with the sun damaging the seats since!

Link to the blanket I purchased