Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

97 Sunsetter LX with Monsoon oil filter and oil?

formulaben

Yes, and it's best done with something like this.  Inexpensive and works pretty well.  Engine manual calls for Dexron III, but Dexron VI supersedes it and is backwards compatible.  Oil is a fun one (lots of opinions)...but you can't go wrong with Delo 400 SDE, changed every 50 hours or season.  Yes, it says diesel but it has additives that are good for your engine and it is S rated, which is compatible with your engine.  I don't know the filter, as I switched to a remote oil filter setup.  You'll appreciate it if you decide to add that feature.

28 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Napa 1060 is the tall oil filter.

Do you need to use the tall or is regular ok?  I never have used the tall, just the reg WIX

1 minute ago, foreste1 said:

Do you need to use the tall or is regular ok?  I never have used the tall, just the reg WIX

You’re good either way. Some guys like having more there to filter. If you do go the tall route, add .5 quarts more. I do the tall and use right at 5.5 quarts.

15 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

You’re good either way. Some guys like having more there to filter. If you do go the tall route, add .5 quarts more. I do the tall and use right at 5.5 quarts.

Ok thank you, do you know how much I need for trans?

5 minutes ago, foreste1 said:

Ok thank you, do you know how much I need for trans?

I don't remember. Some guys do the method of put back as much as you take out..which is okay I guess. My problem with that thinking is, what if it was low or over filled already? If you check the resources tab up top of the forum, you can download the engine manual for your boat. It will tell you, pretty sure it's in the last few pages. Also, make sure and check the dipstick on your boat after you change the oil. If you search the forum for how much to put in, you'll get several different answers. 

formulaben

Yes, same thoughts.  Here is something to note though:

Hat Tip @Engine Nut

Here is the correct procedure for checking transmission fluid in the shifting portion of your v-drive or in an in-line transmission. This guide applies to Indmar V-drive, Velvet-Drive and ZF transmissions, and is best done with the boat in the water.

WARM CHECK

• Start the engine and let it come up to operating temperature.
  • Shift the engine to forward then to neutral then to reverse and back to neutral. Shut the engine off.
  • Within 30 seconds of engine shutdown, remove the dipstick from the transmission, wipe it clean and place the dipstick back into the transmission but don't thread it in. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid level. The level should be between the two marks on the dipstick.
  • Adjust the fluid level as needed.

COLD CHECK

• Once you have established the appropriate fluid level as above, it may be beneficial to let the transmission cool down, preferably overnight so all of the fluid can drain back from the cooler and transmission hoses.
  • Pull the dipstick and wipe it off. Reinstall the dipstick but don't thread it in.
  • Remove the dipstick and mark a new "full cold" level on the dipstick so in the future you can check the fluid level without running the engine.

Note that the full cold level may be above the original full mark on the dipstick, depending on the transmission cooler location and how much fluid is able to drain back.

• Like 1