Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear PNP how they work

Bwhit

I’m just trying to wrap my head around this concept. I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge. 
I have 2 750 PNP bags in the rear locker. They have the manual bleeder. Lately I have been lazy and just wait for the overflow of water to come out of the side of the hull, s*** the pump off and start surfing. 
Now the over flow tube attached to the bag is on the top of the bag( like most of them are).... so wouldn’t my bag be full of water up to the point where the overflow tube attaches to the bag? As the bag is filling isn’t air escaping out of overflow tube?
By not bleeding the bags manually wouldnt I only be missing maybe 10ish gallons of water in the bag?but the lowest point is still the overfill tube so wouldn’t water still travel out the overflow tube if I did burp the bag to get more water in it? 

7 hours ago, Bwhit said:

I’m just trying to wrap my head around this concept. I’m sorry for the lack of knowledge. 
I have 2 750 PNP bags in the rear locker. They have the manual bleeder. Lately I have been lazy and just wait for the overflow of water to come out of the side of the hull, s*** the pump off and start surfing. 
Now the over flow tube attached to the bag is on the top of the bag( like most of them are).... so wouldn’t my bag be full of water up to the point where the overflow tube attaches to the bag? As the bag is filling isn’t air escaping out of overflow tube?
By not bleeding the bags manually wouldnt I only be missing maybe 10ish gallons of water in the bag?but the lowest point is still the overfill tube so wouldn’t water still travel out the overflow tube if I did burp the bag to get more water in it? 

that “overflow” tube is an auto vent, are you saying you still needed to bleed manually, maybe auto vent is kinked?

Yes there still is a good amount of air the gets in the bag. Therefore I was having to open up the manual bleeders to burp the bag. But then I started thinking what’s the point. There is already water coming out of the overflow tube, if I was to burp the bag to get more water inside wouldnt it just go right out the overflow? 

• 3 months later...

I have a more general question about how the plug and play system works with the existing hard tanks and the bags.  I have a 2014 Axis A24.  I bought is last fall and It's my first boat, so I'm still learning...  In the rear lockers I have two fat sacs.  The bags have a line coming out of the top which I assume is tied to the vent.  Then there is a line at the front that goes under the floor.  If I lift the bag, there is an unused line that comes up from under the subfloor at the back.  This line is just capped off.  What is that line for?  When I watched the videos on Wakemakers, they show the plug and play system using this line.  Is the line at the front of the bag coming from the hard tank?

Also, when I drain the ballast it takes forever.  When i first turn the pumps on, there is a strong stream coming from the boat.  However, by the time the bag is half empty, the stream has significantly reduced and barely comes out at the end.  Is this normal?  If it's pulling from the bottom on the hard tank, I would assume it would pump a strong stream for most of the drain.

As I said, this is my first experience with a boat.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

The hoses on the floor at the front and rear of the compartment are connected to the tank below the deck.  The rear hose is actually connected to a T fitting that is connected to the drain pump and the tank.  The top hose in 2014 was connected to a Y fitting that comes from the fill pump and vented loop and goes to the tank and the ballast bag.  I have even seen an inline shut off valve on the hose going to the top of the bag on some models.  Newer models got rid of the Y fitting and fill hose going to the top of the bag because it really wasn't needed and then there was also an optional vent hose with an inline check valve that connected to the top of the bag and to a Y fitting connecting it and the tank vent to the deck vent fitting.  Confusing, I know.

The front and rear drain/fill hoses connected to the bottom of the PNP bag need to be as short and low as possible to make the bag fill and drain quickly.  The bag will never completely drain and sometimes the drain pump needs to be left on for a while since the water gravity drains from the PNP bag into the tank so the drain pump can pump the water out of the boat.  Any kinks in the hoses will greatly increase fill and drain times.

Edited by csleaver