Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6/LT4 oil filter part numbers

Thought it might be a good idea to put a thread together for everyone to reference in the future if they have an oil filter part number question.

Early M5/M6 engines (beginning to very early MY21 models):

WIX: https://amzn.to/3RDiTu3

NAPA 7214 : https://amzn.to/3t2LrCV

Late M5/M6/All LT4:  https://amzn.to/467J4xA

Will update if there are any changes.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Add
  • 4 weeks later...

This is what I was told was the correct filter for my M6 WIX 57214.

When I pulled my filter it was a Carguest brand so I called Advanced Autoparts and they had it in stock, sorry I don't have the part#.

I got the WIX one from O'Reily's.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, G Spot said:

Any idea what NAPA filter works for the late build 2021 M6? Found out last night that the 7214 is too tall. :Doh:

This doesn't show a napa filter, but also doesn't show the same WIX as what @dcarl says it is, but maybe this will help? https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/HENGST/E1001HD28

2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

This doesn't show a napa filter, but also doesn't show the same WIX as what @dcarl says it is, but maybe this will help? https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/HENGST/E1001HD28

@ahopkinsVTXI was just going off what bakes had it listed as... they've been spot on with everything else I've bought from them.

https://www.bakesonline.com/wix-57214-oil-filter-for-malibu-m5-m6-engines.html

The wix didn't look the same as mine that's why I went with the Carquest part number that I pulled out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone changed there oil on an M5 and replaced the filter? If so you know It's in a spot where you can't get it out connected to the screw top due to clearance and I am hoping someone has done it and may have some tips. Trying not to break anything when trying get the filter free from the cover and out to replace. It didn't want to come apart easily when I was working on it the other day and I ran out of time. Thanks,  

Every boat built is going to be slightly different as far as the actual footprint.  Case in point, on my ‘19 the rear transom cup holders are drilled into the hull with a 1/2” difference between the 2 sides. I have a little trouble getting the filter out, but it is generally a clean process but still a PITA. Especially trying to find a 1 5/16” wrench to fit so as not to scuff up the filter cap nut. IIWM, with the filter cap still in place, I would “relieve that area” of some glass above the filter cap for easier access in the future. I did the same thing to the jagged shards of fiberglass hanging in that area while I was at it. It will still be a pain, just not as much of one.

Edited by wdr

Some dealers are pulling the filter up as far as they can and then using a razor knife to cut the accessible portion of the filter off. They can then remove that part and unscrew the center stem to be able to remove the other part with it. Put the new filter on the center stem and insert, turn it so the stem locks in place and then put the cap back on.

Let me preface this with I have enough room above my filter on my M5 to get the cap off and filter out. Cutting the filter in place, not a fan of that technique. “For me” due to the low clearance, the only challenge is getting the cap off of the top of the WIX filter because the filter is captured in the top of the cap. I generally have to angle the cap toward centerline and it will pop off of the filter. I do have to wiggle and squish pull the old filter out and gently wedge the new one back in. But there is no tell tale signs of that on the filter afterward. I pay particular attention to how the cap seats on the filter. If the filter is seated all of the way down into the cup on the post I have never had a problem with the cap seating on the filter head on reassembly. I let the boat sit and gravity drain for a couple days so the filter cup is normally empty of oil which makes getting the old filter out a cleaner and easy one zip lock bag process. I know some guys want to be one and done so YRMV.

2 hours ago, dcarl said:

Is the M6 that much different from the M5? I just did my oil change last week and was a piece to cake to remove the filter. 

No difference at all.

Some boats have more clearance over the filter housing than others.

Thanks guys, I will take a look at it this afternoon. My filter is connected to the cover and I was worried about breaking something getting it separated and also read the tutorial from Malibu about cutting it as well since I last tried. Never thought I would miss the bottom mount oil filters.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, wdr said:

Every boat built is going to be slightly different as far as the actual footprint.  Case in point, on my ‘19 the rear transom cup holders are drilled into the hull with a 1/2” difference between the 2 sides. I have a little trouble getting the filter out, but it is generally a clean process but still a PITA. Especially trying to find a 1 5/16” wrench to fit so as not to scuff up the filter cap nut. IIWM, with the filter cap still in place, I would “relieve that area” of some glass above the filter cap for easier access in the future. I did the same thing to the jagged shards of fiberglass hanging in that area while I was at it. It will still be a pain, just not as much of one.

Thank you! I have been racking my brain trying to find the size of this nut.  I just knew it was close to 32mm (1.25) since that's the largest wrench I had .. haha

On 8/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, jcon44 said:

Thanks guys, I will take a look at it this afternoon. My filter is connected to the cover and I was worried about breaking something getting it separated and also read the tutorial from Malibu about cutting it as well since I last tried. Never thought I would miss the bottom mount oil filters.  :)

I just pull it up a little and wrap a towel around it and pop the cap off (before removing the filter).  Then the filter comes out without issues.  Don't go cutting the filter b/c something might fall down in there and (not likely but could) cause issues.

• 11 months later...

No - Magnuson-Moss.

President Gerald Ford signed it into law on January 4, 1975. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act allows for routine maintenance on your vehicle, including oil change, rotating tires, replacing belts, fluid checks and flushes, installing new brake pads and inspections.

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2021 at 5:26 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Thought it might be a good idea to put a thread together for everyone to reference in the future if they have an oil filter part number question.

Early M5/M6 engines (beginning to very early MY21 models):

WIX: https://amzn.to/3hA6dCf

NAPA 7214 : https://amzn.to/2RrouqJ

Late M5/M6/All LT4:  https://amzn.to/3eUwauI

Will update if there are any changes.

Hi there,

I just changed oil for my 2019 22LSV. Purchased oil and filter online and filter brand is Hengst E160H01 D28b through Malibupart.cơm.  The existing filter is WIX 57214 (1st Gen) though.  Filter replacement was a pain for this model.  Took the boat out earlier and noticed the oil pressure was was higher than previously, around 71-77at 2400 to 3500 rpm's and idle around 45-50 psi. Before it was around 65-68.  Is this a filter problem or something I'm not doing right?  Should I switch filter and put in the Wix brand Thanks, 

I have always used the WIX filters and haven’t seen a fluctuation in the OP. Your idle psi seems to about what I normally see.   A restriction would see a pressure drop not an increase in psi I imagine. How does your oil level look? Over filled?

The only variable left would probably be the oil viscosity if that changed. I will occasionally see some odd spikes in the oil pressure up to @ 67/68 but nothing consistent or as high as the 70s. The cheapest course of action and best way to gain a piece of mind is to swap out the filter again. At least you won’t have to drain the oil out. Good luck.