Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Blue Seas ACR “ignition isolation” help

In the process of installing my Blue Seas add a battery with switch. My question is about the “ignition isolation” connection on the ACR. running it to starter looks like a pain on my 01 Response LX. What have you ran your ignition isolation wire to? A friend said he ran his straight to his starting battery positive terminal. But instructions say not to run it to a constant power source while running. As it will not work correctly. TIA. 

Edited by TheFriend

The ignition iso needs to 'see" 12v when the key is in the crank position. Where you obtain this, does not "have" to be all the way back at the starter. Honestly, its not a crucial circuit on most boats.  

formulaben

You are correct, that's not what it's meant for, and I'd venture that your friend has a malfunctioning ACR if this is how he wired it...anyway, this feature is really meant for multi-engine applications. There's no way the ACR would not isolate during an engine start with only one engine, so I wouldn't worry about it.

So what exactly does it do? My understanding is. When you have two battery banks. One for starter and one for house. It isolates the banks on startup to only your starting bank. 

Its purpose is to open the ACR during cranking, so the heavy load of cranking the engine, does not draw on the same bank as the sensitive electronics wired to the house bank.  

formulaben
5 minutes ago, MLA said:

Its purpose is to open the ACR during cranking, so the heavy load of cranking the engine, does not draw on the same bank as the sensitive electronics wired to the house bank.  

...which if you have a single engine application, the ACR normally wouldn't be closed because there is no alternator running.  The ACR logic only closes the ACR if voltage is over 13 volts for ~2 minutes, or 13.6 volts for ~30 seconds. 

If you are starting your engine under normal conditions, the ACR will be open.   The only exception to this is if you just shut down and the ACR hasn't had the ~10 seconds to open the ACR due to normal (12.35 volts) "under voltage" and you immediately attempt a restart.  If you're worried about it, then include the isolation circuit, but I really don't see the necessity.

8 hours ago, formulaben said:

...which if you have a single engine application, the ACR normally wouldn't be closed because there is no alternator running.  The ACR logic only closes the ACR if voltage is over 13 volts for ~2 minutes, or 13.6 volts for ~30 seconds. 

If you are starting your engine under normal conditions, the ACR will be open.   The only exception to this is if you just shut down and the ACR hasn't had the ~10 seconds to open the ACR due to normal (12.35 volts) "under voltage" and you immediately attempt a restart.  If you're worried about it, then include the isolation circuit, but I really don't see the necessity.

Since Malibu does not build twin engine boats, my description is relevant to the OP's single engine boat. As I have already stated, its not a circuit thats crucial on many boats. 

After looking at the picture my friend had sent of his setup. Looks like he only has two lines running to the ACR. A ground and what looks like the LED power. No ignition isolation hook up. So we must have misunderstood each other. And it makes sense that the ACR should automatically split a common setup like mine. 

formulaben
3 hours ago, MLA said:

Since Malibu does not build twin engine boats, my description is relevant to the OP's single engine boat. As I have already stated, its not a circuit thats crucial on many boats. 

Understood, I'm not disagreeing with you...I'm just taking it a step further and explaining the why to the OP, as he clearly didn't know.  For example, if you explain why you need the blower on prior to engine start, you're far more apt to use it than just saying it's necessary.