Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which ski for my sons learning to slalom?

vaporbluebu

I have two sons, 16 and 19, that last year I finally talked into learning to slalom at the end of last season. They both ended up really enjoying it and want to do more. One gets up consistently and is crossing wakes, but no carving. The other still struggles at times to get up and is a little wobbly once he is up. I use the Radar Senate, but was looking for something more stable for them as they learn and when ready they are welcome to use my ski. Our local sporting goods store (where I get a good deal on stuff) has the Radar Terrain and the HO Fusion. Which would you recommend? Thanks!

2 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

Anyone happen to know which would be easier to get up on and more stable once up?

Since they can both get up, they are over the hump.  The learning curve will happen with each of them at the rate they want to take it.  I wouldn't hold them back with an overly stable ski.  If they can get up on your Senate, let them try it.  The boots won't fit them forever anyway (if their feet are like my sons' feet).  What are they using now?  Combo pairs aren't as bad as they used to be.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, justgary said:

Combo pairs aren't as bad as they used to be.

I inherited a newer set of Connelly combo's - they are still garbage.  Lots of great used slaloms that would be a mucg better choice IMO.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, justgary said:

Since they can both get up, they are over the hump.  The learning curve will happen with each of them at the rate they want to take it.  I wouldn't hold them back with an overly stable ski.  If they can get up on your Senate, let them try it.  The boots won't fit them forever anyway (if their feet are like my sons' feet).  What are they using now?  Combo pairs aren't as bad as they used to be.

They are using an older HO right now. One son is pretty consistent but the other still struggles getting up and I have additional kids that will eventually be learning to slalom as well. so I’m looking for something to help the wobbly kid and future skiers.

1 hour ago, vaporbluebu said:

I have additional kids that will eventually be learning to slalom as well.

If they are older than about seven, time's a wastin'!

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

67" Radar Session or Union would be a great "boat ski."

They don’t have the Session and their only Union is a 69. Any opinion on the Fusion vs the Terrain?

2 hours ago, justgary said:

If they are older than about seven, time's a wastin'!

I’ve been telling them for years if they would just give it a try they would love it. They went out with some friends that don’t have a surf boat so it was just tubing and skiing and they decided to give skiing a try. And surprise, surprise they loved it! It almost as if their dad knows what he is talking about, but don’t tell them that!

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ski-it-again is a great place to find pre owned ski stuff, particularly if you are outfitting a herd of skiers to be.  Also, congrats on getting them to ski...next step to hook them on those little orange buoys:-)   http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php

As for stability, it could also be boot spacing, fin settings and skier position over the ski.  It is much more difficult to ride a ski straight than to hold it on edge, even if only slightly on edge.  The wobble is most likely simply the ski trying to find an edge and a small adjustment can help make it more stable.  if you can, try to watch for any difference in body position between the stable rider and the less stable one.  Although, some skis are simply more stable than others.  Good luck. (I cant help on what ski to consider, sorry).