Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Power wedge doesn't move

Hello brilliant minded Malibus.

We recently purchsed a 2016 23 lsv, had to hauled up to utah from texas.  tried it out on our local lake, appeared that the wedge remained in Lift (down)position and we received the high mph warning while driving,  Took it off water, and have read multiple threads including the great thread on calibrating through the debug assist.  

My issue trying to debug is that the wedge doesn't move with the +- touch screen to see if the voltage aligns.   when attempting to switch between presets (wakeboard, surf et) the position doesn't change.  

any thoughtsf?

thanks so much what a wealth of knowledge on this site

matt

59 minutes ago, matteden said:

Hello brilliant minded Malibus.

We recently purchsed a 2016 23 lsv, had to hauled up to utah from texas.  tried it out on our local lake, appeared that the wedge remained in Lift (down)position and we received the high mph warning while driving,  Took it off water, and have read multiple threads including the great thread on calibrating through the debug assist.  

My issue trying to debug is that the wedge doesn't move with the +- touch screen to see if the voltage aligns.   when attempting to switch between presets (wakeboard, surf et) the position doesn't change.  

any thoughtsf?

thanks so much what a wealth of knowledge on this site

matt

The debug is a momentary "jog" only button. You have to tap it and again and again, you can't hold it. In order for your wedge to raise with regular controls the boat needs to think it's moving forward at about 10mph. Have someone spin the paddle wheel under the boat or use an air hose turned to light pressure then try raising. There is also a "bypass" fuse slot in the main power fuse panel for wedge up and wedge down. The fuse gets inserted into this bypass up or down slot. It won't stop until you remove the fuse.  Happy troubleshooting. 

21 hours ago, csleaver said:

Read these posts and see if it helps

thank you so much,  have read them , i have two fuse boxes under dash neither have any power wedge label would there be another location,  i have looked all over internet for wiring diagram or fuse box diagram for this boat but cant find one anywhere.  

thanks so much for your help.

matt 

Malibu doesn't have wiring diagrams they have harness drawings with connector pin locations, they are proprietary, trademarked, and only available to dealers.

In 2015 the viper 2 controller is integrated into the right hand touch screen, it sends a signal on the CAN 2 buss on the yellow/green and green/yellow wires on pins 4 and 5 to the power module under the dash and receives wedge sensor voltage from the brown/white wire on pin 7 of the 16 pin viper 2 plug.

The primary power module sends a switched voltage signal out from the 5 amp fused board lead to the white/yellow wire on pin 5 for wedge up and on the blue/red wire on pin 10 for wedge down.  The primary power module has fused switches for the interior lights, forward bilge, anchor light, bow lights, wedge up, docking lights, blower, aft bilge, and wedge down.  There is a bypass position for each fuse that will turn on each circuit when a fuse is inserted for testing or to turn on each circuit if the touch screen is not functioning.  The secondary power module has the ballast pumps, underwater lights, and heater circuits.

That primary power module voltage signal goes to the potted two relay box on the transom that sends the power and ground to the power wedge actuator on the blue and green wires to go up and the relays reverse the polarity on those wires to go down.  There is a breaker under the rear seat that provides power to the relay box.

The debug assist screen allows the wedge to be raised or lowered a little each time the + or - icon is touched for testing.  The full down wedge position should read 0-1 and 0.50-0.54V on the screen and the full up position should read 200 and 3.50-3.60V.

Edited by csleaver

Sorry, I thought you had a 2015 Malibu.  The 2016 is actually a bit different.

There is still a breaker under the rear seat that is connected to the main power post on the port stringer.  It provides power to the potted relay module, but the relays are a six pack to control the wedge and both surf gates.  The relay box can be located at the transom, or behind the rear seats depending on when the boat was built.

There are no power module fuses for the wedge or surf gates because the signal to move them is sent from the VIPER 2 via the CAN 2 buss to an I/O module behind the rear seat.  The I/O module receives the wedge position from the external wedge sensor to the brown/white wire on pin 6 and the ground is the grey/black wire on pin 19.

The I/O module sends a power signal to the relay box from the white/yellow wire on pin 28 for wedge up and from the blue/red wire on pin 29 for wedge down when instructed to by the CAN 2 data on the white and blue wires on pins 2 and 20 on the 36 pin I/O module harness plug.

The debug assist screen allows the wedge to be raised or lowered a little each time the + or - icon is touched for testing.  The full down wedge position should read 0-1 and 0.50-0.54V on the screen and the full up position should read 200 and 3.50-3.60V.

So I have located 

The I/o module and I believe the circuit breakers

going to show what a noob I am how do you tell if the breaker has sprung there is a mobile button that easily depresses and resumes previous position 

I have four or those three on starboard side one port behind rear seat

the debug shows position 1 with voltage .53-.55 when I toggle I hear a click and nothing voltage only fluctuates that minimal amount don’t hear any motor engagement of power wedge it doesn’t move and position on debit doesn’t change no matter how many times I push 

thanks 

Matt 

• 1 year later...

@csleaver CSLEAVER-

You are a great help on this!  Thanks!

My wedge will go down using power but not back up.  Does that mean the potted fuses under the rear seat are okay?  And that there could be an issue with the relay?  Maybe the wedge actuator just failed and needs replaced. Trying to rule things out.  My surfgates work. 

Calibrating did not fix my issue. I have now relieved the red screw valve and manually put the wedge in the Up/stow position.  Had to zip tie it because it fell down after using the boat one time. 

2015 VLX 22

Edited by RandyM88

Disconnect and inspect the connections at the relay box and wedge harness.  Make sure you have the battery switch off when connecting or disconnecting them.  Any loose or corroded connections or cables on the circuit could cause a problem.  Check your battery and switch connections, engine power post, breaker connections, block ground, helm ground buss bar, power module power cables, etc...

On 2015 Malibu boats the power module under the helm dash triggers the relays, so check your power module fuses.  A faulty power module could also be a potential cause of the issue.  Check with your Malibu dealer for pricing on replacement components once you figure out what is causing the problem. 

In some cases, tapping on a sticky relay while it is energized can get it to work again, at least temporarily. 

Thanks @csleaver

I will try those options.  I have also lately had my stereo flashing off and on quickly.  Stereo not staying on to function. Any chance it is related?  Maybe an overall bad ground connection?

I have been turning both batteries off and then back on and it usually fixes the stereo flashing off/on problem. 

Loose or corroded electrical connections are very common causes of many electrical issues.  There could be a problem with the stereo black box controller or a stereo remote causing it to turn on and off quickly.  Some intermittent software issues can be corrected by turning off the battery switch or by performing a viper software reset.

• 10 months later...

Ok. There has been a ton of topics on this so didn’t want to start a new one.

Having a similar issue. Breaker is good at transom. Wedge stuck all the way down. Sensor reads about .62 and says 10-11 but I can’t toggle it. 

Any ideas? 2019 LSV