Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice on Fail Proof Instructions for First Time Wake Surfer

truckjunky87

My family never surfed until we got our boat and we ended up teaching ourselves on how to get up and do it.  We all had experience in similar sports, both water and snow, so it came somewhat natural to us and we were all up and surfing within a try or two.  Since then I've had a few beginners with us and manage to get them all up as well, eventually.  Fast forward to last week and we had a friend of my high school daughter with us and just couldn't get her up.  We tried explaining things several different ways and she would just keep doing the same thing so I'm guessing our instructions were just not something she could easily relate to.  As easy as this sport is I'm thinking the failure is on my part and my ability to communicate a few basic concepts without making it too difficult.

So, anyone have fool proof instructions they rely on for someone with no water sports background?

• Like 1

@truckjunky87 I have the same question as you. We love taking out new friends and their kids and some adults and kids just seem to not get it no matter how hard we try to explain it. 

It would be great if there was an easier way to step 1, 2, 3 this if someone has any advice for how they explain surfing for noobies.  

• Like 1

Are you guys doing any shore work with the newbies, or just chunking them in the water and telling them what to do?  Demonstrating the motion on a solid surface can go a long way, as can pulling them up with their heels very close to their butts as opposed to pushed out from their bodies.  Once the light bulb goes off about keeping their heels in on land (you can demonstrate pulling them up with one finger to drive the point home), they tend to do much better in the water.

4 hours ago, malibudog said:

If you don't relax into a ball, your head is going to be way back, and you are going to get water over your face.  Relax and let the boat compress you into a ball behind the board.  

This is what she couldn't achieve now matter our instructions.  Probably my fault a bit for trying to speed through the process because the wind was picking up.   I think she felt like she was getting water boarded after 4-5 tries and called it a day.  Good input and I'll try to slow the process down for her next time she comes out and see if we can't get her up and having fun.

Can a board be too big for a beginner?  I wonder if that was making it difficult for her to get the board to flip up to her feet.

4 minutes ago, truckjunky87 said:

Can a board be too big for a beginner?  I wonder if that was making it difficult for her to get the board to flip up to her feet.

YES!!!!!

An appropriately sized skim is usually the easiest to teach on, especially if the rider is having trouble flipping the board up.  

Most riders should be able to get the board flipped under idle or very light throttle.  If you do some practice tries, where you tell the rider you aren't going to "hit it," but rather just put them under forward motion to get the board flipped up first, that can help.   It definitely DOES NOT help to water board someone (throttle up while the board is flat on the water) who is struggling to flip the board up.   Hahaha I find that those same people then turn into gumby even once the board is under them, and the board goes skating out in an unpredictible direction because they cannot hold the board under themselves.  

Great advice above and in the link.

As a driver, paying attention to when someone is not doing the all caps items mentioned above is huge in helping to successfully teach new folks, and shortening their time to get up. If toes aren’t pointing to the sky or arms are pulling into their chest, they aren’t getting up that try.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming you guys are pulling them on the platform first- if not put them in the water and hold the board up against the platform( you may have to have someone else hold the board in correct position) then give them the rope- get their feet in the right spot - then you stand up on the sun deck and pull the rope- you can correct the tendency to not bend knees all the way and also pulling arms into chest- make sure they stay in a ball- explain that it will be slightly different under power but you can at least see if they are in correct form and they get to feel what the correct position is before being pulled by the boat-