Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

O2AFuelTrimShort DATA VALID BUT ABOVE NORMAL SPN:4236 FMI:0

I just bought a 2016 Malibu 23 LSV and first time I took it out I keep getting this warning. 

O2AFuelTrimShort DATA VALID BUT ABOVE NORMAL SPN:4236 FMI:0

I did some research and found out it is from the O2 sensor. I've heard that this boat had this issue before and they just cleaned the sensors and the error went away. I've heard that these sensors need to be replaced / cleaned fairly often. I took pictures of what I believe to be the O2 sensors. 

Questions:

Are these the O2 sensors?

Are these the only O2 sensors?

Any experience with replacing / cleaning the sensors?

Can I just disconnect the sensors?

How worried should I be?

I appreciate any help with this!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

What motor do you have?
Yes those are the o2 sensors. 
Mine had 4 o2 sensors and I would not clean them. I would replace them. I think (not a 100% sure) you will need a Rinda Techmate scan tool to find out exactly which one is bad. Or possibly bad cats  

I had the same problem on my 13 LSV.  The dash doesn’t really give you all that much info. I was tired of paying the diagnostic fee so I went and bought a Rinda Techmate scan tool. I replaced all 4 o2 sensors and did not have another check engine light. 

Edited by dwc032
ahopkins22LSV

Before spending money on sensors, I would remove them and inspect the catalyst. The raptor engines have had issues with the catalyst themselves failing. You will get a sensor error, because the catalyst is not there or damaged so not doing it’s job. If that’s the case then the manifolds will need to be replaced. 

• Like 3

The message is for Closed Loop Bank 1 High - which tells you which side of the engine it is, and that the issue is that it isn't seeing enough of a change between the upstream and downstream sensors.   I'd agree with Hopkins, you need to do some diagnostic work before just swapping parts.

• Like 2

Not trying to excite the EPA huggers, but I think that I would gut the cats and spoof the downstream sensors before I replaced the manifolds if I had this issue.

I've seen that water or excessive condensation buildup in the exhaust is often what causes O2 sensor and catalyst failure.  This is why every engine builder, except Indmar, uses a thermostatically controlled exhaust cooling system to reduce condensation.  Excessive idling and running loaded below 4000 rpm can also coke the sensors causing diagnostic codes.  The sensors can be often cleaned by running the boat unloaded above 4000 rpm for 10-15 minutes.

The Indmar Raptor engines require all of the exhaust pipes, manifolds, and hoses to be properly aligned, spaced, and sealed to prevent exhaust water inversion that can damage the exhaust components.  Cracked exhaust manifolds can also allow excessive water into the exhaust.

Edited by csleaver
  • Like 2