Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing Kysor Digital-input Gauges on 2000 Malibu Response

spacer.png

My year 2000 Malibu Response LX has a bad Tachometer Gauge. The Hour-Meter part still works and all the other gauges operate. These Digital-Input 'Kysor Medallion Servo' gauges are not readily available and are expensive. In my case, I was able to install a 2" Diameter 'Analog-Input' gage into a blank spot on the dash. I purchased the gauge through Amazon:

Amazon.com: ELING Digital Tachometer RPM Gauge with Hour Meter for Car Truck Boat Yacht 0-9990RPM 52mm(2") with Backlight: Automotive

Procedure:

1. Remove 2" Diameter Blank and physically mount new gauge.

2. Connect 4wire connector to back of gauge.

3. Connect the wires:

a. Gauge Blue 'Gnd' wire to Boat Harness Black Wire (Ground).

b. Gauge Red '12VDC' wire to Boat Harness Purple/White wire (Ignition Accessory).

c. Gauge  Orange 'Backlight' wire to Boat Harness DarkBlue wire (Instrument Light).

d. Gauge Black 'Signal Input' wire to a Tachometer signal wire: The first option is to find the Gray (Ignition Neg) wire. Second choice is to snake a wire from the Alternator "AC" or "W" post to the  the Gauge. In my case, I got intermittent readings using the Gray wire. The Alternator AC wire gave a steady reading.

e. Adjust the 'Speed Ratio' via the black button on the back of gauge to give the correct reading. In my case a setting of '16' provided the correct RPM at a given engine load (3600 RPM at 35mph).

Notes: The hourmeter only advances when the engine is running (RPM active). Meter turns on when the ignition is on. Instrument Light switch will turn on the Backlight.