Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 wakesetter cutting out at 4200 rpm

This has been plaguing me for awhile. It used to only rev to 2000 rpm and the throttle handle was very lazy. I changed

the throttle position sensor on the handle and took it out and it ran great for 2hrs thought it was fixed. Took it out again 

today ran great for 4hrs and now it cuts out at 4200 rpm. Go faster or slower runs fine. Had the diacom on it and the 

02-A1 and B1 mV  went from around 930 to 30 when it would cut out. Don’t know if this caused it or is a result. Don’t 

really see anything else on there that changes when it cuts out. Any help would be appreciated 

The two peddle position sensors should read from about 0.5 to 4.5 vdc from idle to WOT.  The sensors are complementary so if you add the two values together they should equal about 5.0 VDC, so at around half throttle one would read 2.5 v and the other would also read 2.5 v.

I checked pedal position 1 stays at 1.7 the second one stays at 3.18 the whole time this is going on. Is that close 

enough to 5v 

Edited by Blowncoupe

Ok I’ll check that out. I wasn’t moving the throttle around much trying to get it to cut out when it was

hooked up to the diacom. I did find the cam angle was off a little ( 715 ) so I did get that spot on. (705)

so I hope that helps some. Thanks for the help

Edited by Blowncoupe

Same issue, cut out at 4200. Assuming yours is hammerhead too.  I believe it was called the crank position sensor on the motor. Replaced by dealer and runs perfectly now. 

Edited by Razorhog
  • 9 months later...

Never posted an update on this, it ended up being the fuel pump.  It was losing pressure at the 4400 rpm range.  Replaced it and runs like new.  Hope you resolved your issue!

• Like 2

Mine ended up being the cam angle. Thankfully I purchased a diacom to do it myself. It was a all day job 

when taking out the distributor it hit the main aluminum frame above the engine compartment. I had to remove 

A lot of stuff. If I would have had to have a dealer do it it would have cost me a fortune