Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winch Foiling

MakeNWaves

Moving on from bungee foil pumping to using a wake winch. Anyone here ever build, buy or use one? Love to find a used one, since a new one gets to $2000 real fast. Have seen build specs on other sites, but project that big is always daunting.

20 hours ago, MakeNWaves said:

Moving on from bungee foil pumping to using a wake winch. Anyone here ever build, buy or use one? Love to find a used one, since a new one gets to $2000 real fast. Have seen build specs on other sites, but project that big is always daunting.

You probably saw this one.  It looks straight forward to me.  Having a friend with a mill and a welder would be the ticket here.  Honestly, the mill is optional, but would help you get professional looking results.  A little buzz box wire feed welder would do the job.

https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Wakeboard-Wakeskate-Winch-From-BeachWinc/

Yea, that video makes it look like a doable job. If I can get this going, I wont need a driver or a spotter.

32 minutes ago, MakeNWaves said:

Yea, that video makes it look like a doable job. If I can get this going, I wont need a driver or a spotter.

Maybe still a winch driver, and it seems like a pretty important job. 

Definitely a driver, but numbers wise I’m still ahead of the game. Ridiculous Winches seems to have all necessary parts, except the engine. Going to use my bungees next week, which is truly a solo endeavor, then decide on the winch.

11 hours ago, MakeNWaves said:

Definitely a driver, but numbers wise I’m still ahead of the game. Ridiculous Winches seems to have all necessary parts, except the engine. Going to use my bungees next week, which is truly a solo endeavor, then decide on the winch.

I would think that as long as you have a reliable driver willing to enjoy the sport with you, the winch would be a great way to go.  You would get a consistent pull from start to finish over a longer course and not have to wear yourself out trying to get it set each time.  It also seems like even if you bought a commercially made one that it would hold enough value for you to get out of the sport without a huge loss if you decided to do so.  

If you wanted to build your own and have an adventure with it, you could add a digital speed controller to govern the engine speed based on the line speed you want.  That should reduce the driver's job to basically engaging and disengaging the clutch / hitting the emergency brake.  In fact, the end-of-run disengagement could be automatic as well using an optical sensor and a piece of tape on the line.

• 3 weeks later...

Make an engine kill switch connected to a stiff wire loop that fits loosely around rope.   Use a Nerf style football close to the end of the line to trip the kill switch.  Move the football far enough up the rope so that the engine stops in time to avoid damage.  You just have to slide the ball up the rope each time.