Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is my new Malibu sinking? (slowly)

TahoeLSV

I just bought a 2016 23 LSV and on both of our first two times out I am finding water in the hull under the garbage can storage. Nobody is swimming or bringing wet gear on board. Any ideas where this water may be coming from? How worried should I be? I appreciate your help.

spacer.png

formulaben

There's a LOT of places water can enter the hull but that doesn't seem like enough to get really excited about.  If you really want to dive into it, I'll send my troubleshooting guide to you but the questions above about rain are relevant.

• Like 2

Thank you for all the responses!!!

It's not a lot of water. The bilge pumps didn't even auto come on. It sounds like it's not that big of issue either way.

I guess the thing that was bothering me is not the amount but where did it come from.

No rain in this year. No wet gear. No wet people. 

Formulaben - if you have a troubleshooting guide I wouldn't mind having it. Even if this isn't enough water to worry over it does sound like a good thing to have. Thanks!

Cheers!

We had a bolt back itself out of the impeller housing.  Didn’t leak much water until we were up to cruising speed. Took a minute to find since at idle it didn’t really leak.  I would run the engine and make sure none of the hoses under there are leaking as well. Like others said may just be old water trapped inside that hasn’t made its way out.  There is definitely a low spot in the middle of our 14 that water has trouble making it out of the front plug.  

• Like 3

Yes, all boats are always sinking (Except for Boston Whalers). Hopefully, it is slow enough that bilge pumps keep up. 

But, ya there always small leaks here and there most common is shaft seals and such like that. Nothing to be too concerned about. 

• Like 3

This might be useful or completely useless info as a different hull. Recently my 03 RLXi needed to be kept outside. Has a custom canvas cover and it's good but it still leaks a little. I have both hull bungs out (under engine and transom) but after a few days heavy rain I was surprised that there was so much in the front underfloor ski locker. At least 100mm deep ! 4".  Keel line on trailer naturally sits low at front so water gets trapped in front of hull. Water will need to become very deep before it'd reach the under engine bung. I found to drain it I needed to lift trailer hitch to waist height!  

I've noticed the keel line on most Response's looks quite bow down when on trailer so perhaps this is common. Thinking about it more I suspect most hulls would also float with keel slight bow down since hulls fairly flat at transom and have a vee at bow. Weight distribution a factor too. Direct drives only. V drive would float transom down.    

Edited by uk_exile
extra info

Swim platform bolts are something to check as well.. 

Hard to say sometimes your bone dry until u bow up and some water that's been down there comes to light. 

I use to be bone dry until dripless shaft seal was non-dripless.. and swim platform bolts loosened etc.. 

On 5/14/2021 at 8:51 PM, TahoeLSV said:

I just bought a 2016 23 LSV and on both of our first two times out I am finding water in the hull under the garbage can storage. Nobody is swimming or bringing wet gear on board. Any ideas where this water may be coming from? How worried should I be? I appreciate your help.

spacer.png

Where is the trash can on a 2016 23 LSV. 

I used to have a little bit of water that would collect in my port side under seat storage (directly opposite side of the boat, if the 16 is the same as the 19).  It would come in under normal motoring or even sometimes rain water with cover.  It would sit down there.  I discovered that the drain tube in that compartment was kinked / plugged.  Once I freed that up, the water drained into the bilge and then out of the boat.  Might be worth checking that.  Not a source of the leak per se, but rather a way to get rid of it.  LOL.  It's all dry now.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:21 PM, Sparky450 said:

Where is the trash can on a 2016 23 LSV. 

Starboard side in the back.

Under the back corner cushion.