Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Dying Out when dropping into Neutral

I am having an issue with my boat dying/stalling when I go from RPM's above 1000+ and then dropping it into neutral. When it does this, I am unable to restart the boat for 1-1.5 hours. Engine temp is right at 160°, however, my exhaust risers are too hot to even touch. Not sure if there's is a correlation between the risers getting really hot and the stalling out, but looking for some help!

I have changed the impellar, spark plugs, TPS on the throttle body, MAP sensor. When boat is running, I'm right at 60 psi for the fuel pressure.

Any help would be great. T.I.A.

2 hours ago, PigPen13 said:

I am having an issue with my boat dying/stalling when I go from RPM's above 1000+ and then dropping it into neutral. When it does this, I am unable to restart the boat for 1-1.5 hours. Engine temp is right at 160°, however, my exhaust risers are too hot to even touch. Not sure if there's is a correlation between the risers getting really hot and the stalling out, but looking for some help!

I have changed the impellar, spark plugs, TPS on the throttle body, MAP sensor. When boat is running, I'm right at 60 psi for the fuel pressure.

Any help would be great. T.I.A.

A good rule of thumb is that 125*F is about where you can't keep your thumb on something indefinitely, so 160*F is well above that.  In other words, a normal exhaust riser at 160*F is too hot to touch.  The rest of the engine is too.

A common issue is the spark module under the distributor (if your engine has one) getting overheated.  They are sensitive to heat.

Do you have any active or previously active diagnostic trouble codes?

Do you have any noticeable drop in fuel pressure with the key on and engine off or when you are having starting issues?

Have you checked the condition of the cap, rotor, and ignition wires on the HVS?

You mentioned that the TPS on the throttle body was replaced, but the electric throttle TPS is not considered serviceable separately from the throttle body.  Has the entire throttle body assembly been replaced?

Hot catalyst exhaust can be caused by a restriction or debris in the cooling system, but can also happen if the exhaust replumb kit has not been installed to keep the exhaust cooler and increase its the lifespan.

Edited by csleaver

The only active codes I have received are 65601, 65602 & 65610. All which have now cleared themselves after the boat wasn't run for about 2 days. 

I haven't tested fuel pressure with only key on/engine off.

I haven't looked closely at the HVS cap and am thinking about changing the wires, rotor and cap. Do you happen have the specific model numbers for the HVS cap and rotor?

I replaced the TPS sensor with a new sensor (TH0001). The throttle body has not been replaced.

I will be pulling the thermostat housing and checking for possible blockage or obstruction in the cooling system. I am also strongly considering the installing the replumb kit. As the risers feel hotter than 160°. I will confirm with an inferred gun next time I'm out on the water.