Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Storage

Chippa

Just purchased my 1st 2007 Malibu Wakesetter and 1st ever ski boat.

I am storing it under cover but not in a full enclosed shed at my father in laws house here in Melbourne.

I have a full cover but would like some advice on storing it this way over the winter months.

I have cleaned and polished the boat inside and out removing any water from bilge area.

I was told to put a half bucket of baking soda in the middle of the boat to remove any moisture that may accumulate??

any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the club! 

There's heaps of good info here and some great folks willing to share their considerable knowledge and experience!

I am assuming the Baking soda remains in the bucket with the idea of absorbing moisture from the air?

Does your tower lay down so that you can cover the top completely with no gaps? If so, get a good quality, heavy duty tarp and some bungee cord and hooks that can cover the whole lot (tower and all) for the off season.

My tower (Illusion X) folds down and rests on a custom wooden stand with a carpet pad on top. I had my covers made for that configuration for towing and storage. I use a HD tarp on top of the whole lot for storage outside.

Otherwise, as long as water can't pool in low points (which you can fix by rigging up loops with bungee and hooks to hold the low spots up or fashion stands to push the cover up in those areas) is water resistant & has good airflow through the boat to allow it the opportunity to dry out you shouldn't need to take any other precautions unless it is constantly damp/wet or is allowing water to pool in the boat.

I also add Sta-bil fuel stabilser to a full tank of fresh fuel for longer periods of storage (lay-up) and using a fake-a-lake (muff and water feed) I run the motor for approx 15-20mins (or until the thermostat opens) monthly to maintain batteries and keep the stabilised fuel moving around. I spray the transmission, vee-drive, engine and electrics (under dash also) with Inox and cover the vinyl with Polyglaze Dash & Trim Potectant

I always store the boat with the centre bung taken out so the bilge can drain if necessary and place the bung by the drivers feet for good measure so I don't forget!

Enjoy!

Edited by tedshred

My wife uses Calcium Chloride in little plastic buckets to help control humidity in our toy hauler camper.  The main drawback is the chlorine released as the product absorbs water.  We don't have very much exposed metal inside the camper, so I just watch for corrosion and correct it as needed.  So far, so good, but mainly because the camper doesn't leak.  I'm not sure I would put it in my boat with all of the exposed metal and wiring unless I took extra measures (which I typically do) to spray metal surfaces with light oil, including the engine and all electrical connections under the dash.

I would encourage you to keep a light oil film over any painted metal (engine) or electrical connection (under the dash) you can find.  That way your humidity issues will be reduced to mostly just mildew, and you will avoid many of the electrical problems that people present here daily.

I have read that one of the best dehumidifiers is a big tub of coffee creamer powder.  Open it, leave it, and replace it when it gets hard.  If you have a cheap source for it you might give it a try.  It is probably cheaper than baking soda.  If you are more adventurous, you can probably bake the water out and crush it into powder again to reuse it.  Set your oven as low as it will go (generally under about 80*C), spread the product on a cookie sheet, and bake it overnight.  Pulverize it after it is dry and reuse it.

• Like 2

I use these in my boat, theres different brands but same concept. Usually one on the floor and one in the engine compartment (v drive). Just uncovered mine for the season and dry as a bone. its impressive the amount of water they pull out of the air.

Biggest thing is dont spill them. I spilt one and it left an oily residue all over the carpet. 

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-HI-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber-4-Pound/dp/B06ZXXLQTR/ref=pd_lpo_121_t_0/143-6486498-7017604?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06ZXXLQTR&pd_rd_r=1f303659-02bb-466b-8b88-6d0186b937ef&pd_rd_w=mItP9&pd_rd_wg=btkvo&pf_rd_p=a0d6e967-6561-454c-84f8-2ce2c92b79a6&pf_rd_r=G7TMW71FNV3CTK43SR5P&psc=1&refRID=G7TMW71FNV3CTK43SR5P

18 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

I use these in my boat, theres different brands but same concept. Usually one on the floor and one in the engine compartment (v drive). Just uncovered mine for the season and dry as a bone. its impressive the amount of water they pull out of the air.

Biggest thing is dont spill them. I spilt one and it left an oily residue all over the carpet. 

https://www.amazon.com/DampRid-HI-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber-4-Pound/dp/B06ZXXLQTR/ref=pd_lpo_121_t_0/143-6486498-7017604?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06ZXXLQTR&pd_rd_r=1f303659-02bb-466b-8b88-6d0186b937ef&pd_rd_w=mItP9&pd_rd_wg=btkvo&pf_rd_p=a0d6e967-6561-454c-84f8-2ce2c92b79a6&pf_rd_r=G7TMW71FNV3CTK43SR5P&psc=1&refRID=G7TMW71FNV3CTK43SR5P

DampRid is Calcium Chloride.  See the note above about corrosion.

This is what I put in my boat every winter. I do store indoors but it comes out dry and smelling great.
Shipping is expensive because its heavy, they change $18.46 to ship to MN.

https://www.deltaadsorbents.com/boat-dry-kit-small/

Maybe you could find a similar company in AU that sells large Desiccant Bags.  They are used to keep shipping containers dry.

22 hours ago, tedshred said:

Congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the club! 

There's heaps of good info here and some great folks willing to share their considerable knowledge and experience!

I am assuming the Baking soda remains in the bucket with the idea of absorbing moisture from the air?

Does your tower lay down so that you can cover the top completely with no gaps? If so, get a good quality, heavy duty tarp and some bungee cord and hooks that can cover the whole lot (tower and all) for the off season.

My tower (Illusion X) folds down and rests on a custom wooden stand with a carpet pad on top. I had my covers made for that configuration for towing and storage. I use a HD tarp on top of the whole lot for storage outside.

Otherwise, as long as water can't pool in low points (which you can fix by rigging up loops with bungee and hooks to hold the low spots up or fashion stands to push the cover up in those areas) is water resistant & has good airflow through the boat to allow it the opportunity to dry out you shouldn't need to take any other precautions unless it is constantly damp/wet or is allowing water to pool in the boat.

I also add Sta-bil fuel stabilser to a full tank of fresh fuel for longer periods of storage (lay-up) and using a fake-a-lake (muff and water feed) I run the motor for approx 15-20mins (or until the thermostat opens) monthly to maintain batteries and keep the stabilised fuel moving around. I spray the transmission, vee-drive, engine and electrics (under dash also) with Inox and cover the vinyl with Polyglaze Dash & Trim Potectant

I always store the boat with the centre bung taken out so the bilge can drain if necessary and place the bung by the drivers feet for good measure so I don't forget!

Enjoy!

Thanks so much. Awesome advice. 👍👍👍👍