Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LT4 - What octane fuel is required?

gorenation

Just as the title states, trying to plan multiple several-day trips for this summer to different lakes but some only offer 87 octanes.

From the RTFM playbook...  

Whenever possible, use 93 octane gasoline! Admittedly, there are locations where only lower-grade fuel is available, but to ensure long-term, high performance, the use of 93 octane is strongly recommended. Boats equipped with LT4 engines should use 91 octane fuel at a minimum. For other engines, in such instances where the highest-grade gas is not available, boaters may use 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel, but no lower grade. (Boaters outside the U.S. and Canada should confer with their authorized Malibu dealer to determine the correct fuel grading, as it is often graded differently in other countries.) Malibu strongly recommends the use of the above-mentioned fuel grades. With continued use over a period of time, the lower octane fuel could damage the engine, and such damage is not covered under warranty. Again, if the customer chooses to use a lower octane fuel than recommended, and it causes damage or failure, then warranty claims may be denied. Malibu reserves the right to have the fuel tested.

GM, as of 2017 stated 91 is fine.  87 is kinda low in my books.  And FWIW, it is nigh on impossible to get 87 on the water up here.

• Like 2
gorenation
1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Whenever possible, use 93 octane gasoline! Admittedly, there are locations where only lower-grade fuel is available, but to ensure long-term, high performance, the use of 93 octane is strongly recommended. Boats equipped with LT4 engines should use 91 octane fuel at a minimum. For other engines, in such instances where the highest-grade gas is not available, boaters may use 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel, but no lower grade. (Boaters outside the U.S. and Canada should confer with their authorized Malibu dealer to determine the correct fuel grading, as it is often graded differently in other countries.) Malibu strongly recommends the use of the above-mentioned fuel grades. With continued use over a period of time, the lower octane fuel could damage the engine, and such damage is not covered under warranty. Again, if the customer chooses to use a lower octane fuel than recommended, and it causes damage or failure, then warranty claims may be denied. Malibu reserves the right to have the fuel tested.

GM, as of 2017 stated 91 is fine.  87 is kinda low in my books.  And FWIW, it is nigh on impossible to get 87 on the water up here.

I appreciate it man. I haven't got my boat delivered yet so no handbook to reference.

1 hour ago, gorenation said:

I appreciate it man. I haven't got my boat delivered yet so no handbook to reference.

All on line.  Google is your friend.

• Like 2
Surf4FamFun
4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

On the lake we go to the one marina has unmarked pumps, I found out who the distributor is, talked to them, is 87.  Curious how much higher you are finding.  

8 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

On the lake we go to the one marina has unmarked pumps, I found out who the distributor is, talked to them, is 87.  Curious how much higher you are finding.  

We only have premium  - 91

16 hours ago, RyanB said:

I keep this in my boat  my LS3 requires premium and I can’t get it on some lakes.  And I have had knocking if I don’t use the octane booster.

Lucas Oil 10026-PK12 Octane... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OZL9OQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was going to suggest getting a bottle or two of Race Gas Concentrate.  https://www.amazon.com/Race-Gas-100032-Race-Concentrate-Octane/dp/B015HRK7ZS

23LSVOwner

Just make sure you read the mixing instructions on the cans.

Your boat has a MUCH larger fuel tank than your car.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Just make sure you read the mixing instructions on the cans.

Your boat has a MUCH larger fuel tank than your car.

It would take a little math and watching how much fuel you are adding to the tank.  But, if you can start with (say) 91 octane, as you top off the tank, you simply add the correct amount of additive to the tank to maintain 91 octane based on the amount and grade of fuel you pumped in. 

The only disadvantage (if you can even call it that) would be that if one goes to a higher elevation, they might have a higher than needed octane fuel.  But as soon as you drop back down to lower elevations, you're ready to rock.

Pat and Mike on Engine Power have dynoed some seriously high HP engines using this stuff.  Seems its all they use currently, instead of keeping jugs of various octane VP race gas.

Edited by Texan32

The cheapest option for octane boosting is most likely by buying toluene in bulk.  Toluene has an octane rating of RON 121 and MON 107, giving an (R+M)/2 rating of 114.  To bring 87 octane gasoline to 93 octane, you will need (per gallon):

T = (93-87)/(114-93) = 0.286 gallons per gallon of gasoline, which is 36.6 ounces per gallon.

To bring 89 octane to 93, that would be:

T = (93-89)/(114-93) = 0.190 gallons per gallon of gasoline, or 24.4 ounces per gallon.

Five gallons is about $83 or so including shipping.  https://skygeek.com/toluene-5-gallon.html