Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Reel to store boat cover?

GForce

I saw this lift setup on another site, and noticed the reel holding the boat cover.  Anyone here tried this and if so, how well did it work?

EgxebBa.jpg

3 hours ago, GForce said:

I saw this lift setup on another site, and noticed the reel holding the boat cover.  Anyone here tried this and if so, how well did it work?

EgxebBa.jpg

Either @Ronnie or @Slurpee

Have (what I think) is a great set up. I think They use a cargo net hanging from the boat house. Maybe they will chime in with how they do it. 

Thanks Slurpee.  I think this seems better than a reel.   Does grease from that one support get on the inside of the cover?

17 hours ago, GForce said:

Thanks Slurpee.  I think this seems better than a reel.   Does grease from that one support get on the inside of the cover?

It can. Since I’m up there each time I’m rolling the cover up I look to see if any is building up on the axle collar and wipe it off. Dripping grease isn’t an issue, but grease rubbing off can be. I doubt most folks would have a problem. It’s a real thing though for me because my speaker pods being over the Bimini shove the rolled up cover nearly a foot higher up in the air, and tend to encourage it to roll to the center where it’s more likely to touch. I just set my lift to stop a few inches shy of where it’s a definite problem, and do a good job of rolling it up. That cover is HEAVY. I love not having to move it. Uncovering and covering is a lot faster. 

Yes, I also have an over-tower cover, and its weight and sheer volume of canvas is why I think your hammock thing is better than a reel.  It would be a real pain to reel all that cover in (pun intended).  But, folding everything atop my bimini/tower, is easy.  I bought a cargo net (the non-stretchy kind) from Amazon that should be here tomorrow, and I'm going to rig it up this weekend.  I'll be glad not to be lifting that cover from the dock into my boat at the end of the weekend.

On 5/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, GForce said:

Yes, I also have an over-tower cover, and its weight and sheer volume of canvas is why I think your hammock thing is better than a reel.  It would be a real pain to reel all that cover in (pun intended).  But, folding everything atop my bimini/tower, is easy.  I bought a cargo net (the non-stretchy kind) from Amazon that should be here tomorrow, and I'm going to rig it up this weekend.  I'll be glad not to be lifting that cover from the dock into my boat at the end of the weekend.

I think all the pictures on how I secured it to the roof are out of frame. I used 1/4” stainless screws with an eyelet. You’ll want to use a heavy cord or stainless cable like I did. I used the stuff for my flag poles. The reason being when they’re disconnected the wind will whip them around like crazy and beat up everything. So heavier keeps them stable. 

Edited by Slurpee

Thanks Slurpee.  I installed my rig this weekend, and it's great. 

Instead of a heavy tarp, I used a cargo net made of 1/2" nylon webbing - the type sold to secure a load in the back of a pickup truck.  It is about 4' x 5', not stretchy, and is very heavy duty.  It has a webbing tie-down strap extending from each corner, and the tie-down straps each have a cam buckle and a hook.  I hung the cargo net just forward of my bimini with 1" stainless screw eyes screwed into the rafters, and cinched up the straps so the net was about the same height as my bimini when the boat is lifted.  Even though the cargo net is higher than the bimini when the boat is floating, I was still a bit worried it might hang on the bimini when docking (e.g., if the lake is up or wavy).  Thus, I put the cargo net forward of my bimini, so there's no risk at all of it getting hung.  

It worked great.  I rolled up the cover onto my bimini and then rolled it forward onto the cargo net.  Then, Sunday, I rolled the cover back onto my bimini and unfurled it over the boat.

Thanks for the great idea and the help.     

Edited by GForce