Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 malibu parts ISO

BigDreamer

Ok I am brand new to this and also boats in general. I have an 06 malibu sunscape that I recently bought that was stripped! Probably a bad idea but I had a machanic lined out that had parts and everything to build it for me. After reading some reviews about the guy I got scared. Now I am trying to do it on my own... with no knowledge of boats. I need a lot of parts, but trying to start with sourcing a motor, trans, and v drive to start with. Any shop I call can’t seem to tell me what motor was in it or what I can put in it that will bolt up for me? Where do I start? Or do I just sell it and give up? Not sure if any of you have parts for me or advice? Thanks 

there is no motor, fuel tank, pumps, ballasts, drive shaft, propeller?, cluster gauges are junk, etc

Grab the brochure and see the motor options.  It came with a Indmar Hammerhead 383 6.2L, 400 hp IIRC. Any decent shop can help you buy the parts.  Tank is likely a Moeller; shaft from Marinehardware.com, gauges and odds and ends from Ron at skiboatpartsonline.com Good luck!

Have nothing to add, to that , he gave you all I think you'll need to start spending money!  I do have a request, start posting some before pictures on here, so we can all see the progress.  This might also allow someone to see something you ight otherwise miss.

Do you know the overall length of your boat?

There was a 23 ft Sunscape and a 21 ft Sunscape.  The smaller boat, also known as the 21 LSV (acronym for "luxury sport V") came with a fuel-injected 5.7L GM Vortec engine marinized, or converted for marine use, by Indmar.  The base engine was called the LCR.  An upgrade available was the Monsoon.  The larger boat, IIRC, started with the Monsoon as the base engine and the Hammerhead as an upgrade.

I have the smaller Sunscape.  FWIW, it came with ZF Hurth transmission and v-drive units.

The Sunscape line of boats did not have ballast tanks or pumps built in unless they were special-ordered that way. They also typically did not come with a tower.

It has a tower, the single forward sloping tower. I can’t seem to figure out how to add pics. It says luxury sport v on the back so I am guessing that makes it the 21 footer then? Where do I look at a brochure? Just look it up? I have a shop my vin and there is a debate of wether it is an 05 or 06. Does that throw off the motor and v drive options much? And thanks for some places to look!

2 minutes ago, BigDreamer said:

It has a tower, the single forward sloping tower. I can’t seem to figure out how to add pics. It says luxury sport v on the back so I am guessing that makes it the 21 footer then? Where do I look at a brochure? Just look it up? I have a shop my vin and there is a debate of wether it is an 05 or 06. Does that throw off the motor and v drive options much? And thanks for some places to look!

Well geez... just post the Dropbox links. And yeah, Google is your friend.  There are HIN (not VIN) decoders all over the place.  Google them too.  Or post your HIN (Hull ID number) ad someone will do it for you.

Great lakes skipper can be another good source for parts.

https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/

Also remember that starting with a blank slate, you don't have to go back stock. 
I am not sure how mechanically or technologically inclined you are. But there are lots of options to think out of the box and have a boat that looks more 2020 then 2006 when you are done. 

I have been told I need the correct motor and trans so it bolts up without custom fabrication? Sounds like as long as I get that 383 block that the motor should bolt in though? Not sure about wiring harness so I have a local guy that says there is a stand alone fuel injection kit we can get and a marine short block from summit. So getting a trans to bolt to the motor and the hull is a problem? 

32 minutes ago, BigDreamer said:

I have been told I need the correct motor and trans so it bolts up without custom fabrication? Sounds like as long as I get that 383 block that the motor should bolt in though? Not sure about wiring harness so I have a local guy that says there is a stand alone fuel injection kit we can get and a marine short block from summit. So getting a trans to bolt to the motor and the hull is a problem? 

It would have come with a small block chevy. Yes, you will need the correct mounts for your boat. But what goes between the mounts is nearly limitless.
With you needing to buy all new accessories (exhaust manifolds, raw water pump, heat exchangers, etc.). You can run any small block chevy.  

With modern stand alone fuel injection systems, you can easily run a Holley system with a newer gen 3 "ls" or newer motor. The transmission bolt pattern is the same for any the Small block Chevy (SBC). 

Don't let a lot of the local marine mechanics try to scare you, they are trying to guarantee work. There isn't much difference on a marinized engine vs what's in your truck. 
And except for some Merc stuff they all came 90% pre built by GM as a long block.  https://gmpowertrain.com/about-us/marine/

https://www.michiganmotorz.com/products/marine-engines/complete-turn-key-engines

The more part sourcing you can do from used parts will save you a lot.  Along with doing more work yourself. 

As I guess you are finding boating has picked up a lot post covid so finding parts and mechanics won't be to easy. 

1 hour ago, BigDreamer said:

So getting a trans to bolt to the motor and the hull is a problem? 

Bakesonline sells them for about 5K (V-drive).  Cheaper elsewhere assuming you can find one.

41 minutes ago, BigDreamer said:

Was that the correct v drive for an 06? Worried about it bolting in?

The seller seems to have other models available, so it might be worth contacting him to see what he has.  If you can get a working one instead of a basket case, so much the better.

I think you are going to have to answer your own question on whether it fits.  Measure your mount point holes and then ask others to do the same.  I kind of expect that they will all fit, but you may end up drilling new holes if you go with a different brand than it originally had.  Does your boat have the mount brackets in it?

Pictures of what you have and what's missing would be a big help.

Also start reading the resources tab for the user manuals and sales book for your boat.

Also look at for sale ads for descriptions and pics of what the boat should look like.