Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transom tie downs.

rcondren

I have the tandem axle malibu trailer and it has the spot on back for transom tie downs.. Any suggestions? Thanks Rick

I've been wondering about this myself. My boat did not come with any, and I do not use them, but have often wondered if I should get some.

I don't trailer far, 20 miles total on a day of skiing, mostly interstate, and I don't think I have a problem with the boat bouncing around on the trailer too much...

They're pretty cheap and you can pick them up at any marine store. I covered the metal S clips with rubber tubing from Home Depot and I cut a little carpet to pad them against the transom.

I think it's better to have them in the event you get into an accident or have to swerve / brake hard. The boat is going to stay on the trailer most likely.

I looked into getting the mounted retractable ones a while back, but ended up picking up some straps from West Marine. I probably should use them more, but I only use them when I am trailering a distance, which for me is more than the 15 miles from my house to the river. I don't even do that that often as I keep the boat moored most of the time.

I think the mounted retractable ones make a lot of sense, however. I'm sure that if I had them I would use them whenever the boat was being trailered. They really should be standard on these trailers.

Boat buckles for sure! They sell an angle bracket that helps with installation. To get mine to fit I had to cut part of the bracket off.

Jason,

Those BB are made here in Westfield. Did you get them from a contact or did you purchase them through regular channels. Just curious...

I bought the retractable ones from Boaters World. They're definitely worth the $59 I spent on them. My extreme had the little tabs sticking out that you used to mount your straps, but because this has a bolt on it I couldn't mount it there. So I ended up mounting them on the tube steel that the trailer guide poles are mounted on.

Jason,

Those BB are made here in Westfield.  Did you get them from a contact or did you purchase them through regular channels.  Just curious...

I bought mine from Northside Trailer in Carmel. I was told IMCO doesn't sell them directly.

Wal Mart sells the same retractable tie-downs that are used on Extreme trailers, under the "Rod Saver" brand.

Middle of this page, http://www.rodsaver.com/04_transom2/R2TTD3.html.

I want to say they're about $39.

Superjet, once you put retractable tie-downs on your trailer, you'll never go back to those kind. :)

Edited by Boomer

I only use them when I hit the interstate for long distances...but the downfall is that when you are not used to having them on, they are not part of your mental check list...

"Hey thing isn't wanting to back off the trailer as easy as usual..."

Frustrated.gif

And once the nose of the boat slips under the bow roller, the only choice is to cut the straps...

Help.gif

I use some like the Barts ones. You only need an accident like driving over a curb and the boat could hop up and off with obvious consequences. Not worth the risk & when you arrive at the Lake it is just something on the list - road cover, bow shackle, tie-downs, bungs.

Mine are the 2" deluxe that are listed on the rodsaver site you linked. They work fine and they'll never have to be replaced since they don't ever get wet.

jvianco listed the G2 (generation two boat buckles) which are the best out there.........I have found that Cabellas sells the correct ones just about cheaper than anyone.

Most stores still only stock the G1 - there is a big difference in quality.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...requestid=30656

Edited by HoustonPerson

Sort of have to be careful with West Marine, they do list the current G2 part number, but the picture is the G1 which is not nearly as good as the new ones..........The local West Marine's here only stock the old ones.

You should be able to tell the difference in the two links

Old Style Product (in picture)

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=234217

New Style Product in Picture

http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuckle/products.htm

Do I use them now? Absolutely.......

I did not have them installed at first, but......,and I have told this story

before, my son was going to the lake which only takes about 20 min to get

there. The road is a little bumpy but not bad. The right rear trailer axle

spring main leaf broke. The axle of course went under the frame and fender

on the right side and was sticking out the back of the trailer. The boat

jumped about 2 ft off of the trailer and very fortunately landed back on it

without breaking or bending anything. You can see the tire marks on the

trailer in my gallery.

While this was happening, the whole rig crossed into the on coming lane,

over to the dirt and back across to the dirt on the other (correct) side

where he was able to get it under control and get it stopped.

That day, thank God, the traffic was light and they didn't get into a head

on accident. I would have lost everything that matters to me, and my boat.

The think only thing that kept the boat from catapulting off of the trailer

was the fact that it had swerved and kind of caught itself.

I bought a pair of the retractable RodSavers from WalMart and use them faithfully.

Edited by Sunsetter95

When we trailer we use the retractable ones. The straps come very close to the gel coat so I put a set of those fuzzy sheepskin seatbelt covers on the straps where they rest on the boat. The velcro together so it's very easy to put them on and off.

With a Sunsetter LXi the straps are always in contact with the boat due to the cantilevered trunk. I've got a very old, heavy, wetsuit that I'm going to cut up to make pads for the straps where they contact the boat. Don't know how long each set will last but the wetsuit is a size Large! :)

When we trailer we use the retractable ones. The straps come very close to the gel coat so I put a set of those fuzzy sheepskin seatbelt covers on the straps where they rest on the boat. The velcro together so it's very easy to put them on and off.

Where did you find those? I'ld be very interested in finding some.

There available at most auto supply stores, I think I've even seen them at Walmart. Ask for seat belt pads or covers. A quick Google turned up several different types and different materials.