Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Weekend Upgrade to Deckadence type flooring in 2006 Malibu 23 LSV

BCJohnsontx

We finally committed to removing the old tired carpet from our 2006 Malibu 23 LSV this weekend and decided to update it to a Deckadence type flooring instead. I took the advice of a few of the members here and purchased one of the pool mats from American Floor mats here: https://www.americanfloormats.com/vinyl-mesh-pool-mats/ . We went with the 4' by 16' in Grey with no backing. If you surf around on their site they will offer you a 10% off coupon by signing up on their email list. All in it was around ~$317 shipped. 

Our boat did not have a finished, gel coated floor under the carpet so we decided to pull out all the interior seats, frames, etc and prep and coat the floor before laying in the new mats. For those of you who plan on doing this, Malibu did not anticipate anyone ever changing out the carpet so finding out how everything is put together and locating all the hidden screw heads in the carpet is a major PITA. Thanks to several posts here in the forums, I was able to figure it all out. 

Here is the boat with all the seats and frames out. You can really tell how matted down and tired the walkway carpet was compared to the carpet under the seats.

IMG_0788.thumb.jpeg.662359d8cb284eeb680d0647a662ab25.jpeg

IMG_0789.thumb.jpeg.96db081007e3b23bd4410611ab58970e.jpeg

We wanted pretty much all of the carpet on the floor out so we pulled it all up. Following the advice of some others here, we used our cordless oscillating tool and some adhesive scraper attachments I found at Home Depot. Do Not try to do this project with this tool. It was an absolute necessity and made very quick work of the stubborn glue and carpet residue on everything. 

IMG_0791.thumb.jpeg.49a8d8ef75dbda68a8fefb069b97012c.jpeg

IMG_0790.thumb.jpeg.e73501446860ee4a801553812e413220.jpeg

IMG_0792.thumb.jpeg.c1d77081a37a047cbf89c1fe1e6722ff.jpeg

Using the tool and lots and lots of Acetone and mineral spirits, we finally got all of the glue residue off the floor and also off the gas tank honeycomb cover. 

IMG_0795.thumb.jpeg.f500613916ab54704dd570e166bce313.jpeg

The flooring that runs from the back seats back to the ski lockers is made of a single piece of starboard so we pulled those out and stripped the carpet off, and used a combination of paint stripper and acetone to get all the old glue off. 

IMG_0801.thumb.jpeg.e5aaa122c638ec8985632a8320be340d.jpeg

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.2f8357855e00dd22b0b55bbfd1aa5cf0.jpeg

Next we taped off a few areas and rolled on 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Marine Coating Primer (Home Depot), waited for an hour, then rolled on 2 more coats of the non-primer coating. It was fairly warm outside so we had to work quickly to get it down before it started getting really tacky. We coated the has tank cover with the same stuff and left the ski locker starboard plastic as bare plastic. 

IMG_0803.thumb.jpeg.937df18a9b4b607bb3080d2398263ecb.jpeg

IMG_0797.thumb.jpeg.6f70b84edd105e00332a2eef16647acc.jpeg

IMG_0807.thumb.jpeg.d6a89e15b2b922a8333f1fd496e31491.jpeg

• Like 1
martinarcher

Well done.  I'm looking forward to doing this to the Sunsetter after the new garage is done.  Mine will be very similar and I like how the new grey flooring seems to look good against the old carpet that is left on the sides of the seat bases and gunnels.  

• Like 2

Hello @BlindSquirrel, it's just a drop in mat at this point. No Glue of any kind. I should be able to just pull it out, rinse it out, and through it back in there as many times as I need to. 

1 minute ago, BCJohnsontx said:

Hello @BlindSquirrel, it's just a drop in mat at this point. No Glue of any kind. I should be able to just pull it out, rinse it out, and through it back in there as many times as I need to. 

That's pretty neat. We have kids that average a chip ratio of 2/1 mouth to floor.... so removing and spraying it off would be pretty cool. 

"It is best to cut an 1/8" outside the actual template and use a bevel cut at 45 degrees so the top of the mat is longer and bevels back. This took some time to do but it was very worth it in the end. Just keep changing out the blades as you go. I think I went through 4-6 during the process."

Please clarify or further explain.   Thanks.

Just now, minnmarker said:

"It is best to cut an 1/8" outside the actual template and use a bevel cut at 45 degrees so the top of the mat is longer and bevels back. This took some time to do but it was very worth it in the end. Just keep changing out the blades as you go. I think I went through 4-6 during the process."

Please clarify or further explain.   Thanks.

The material is rather stretchy and making a perfect template is very difficult. (at least the way I did it) By cutting the material a little wider than the template and beveling the edges, you get a kind of squeezed in fit that absorbs most of the imperfections in either the template or the cut itself. It's just the way I like to do things too where I can always cut a little more but can't add back. 

1 hour ago, BCJohnsontx said:

I can always cut a little more but can't add back. 

Like Dad used to say "You can always cut it shorter but you can't cut it longer".  I tend to measure three times - cut once.  Or twice if too long.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you get the mat with the backing?  I wasn't sure so I got the one with the backing and the border with to give the mesh more support.  The border I figured would make it easier to get it flush to the sides of the exsisting floor.  Or should I remove the border when I cut it to size?

Also did you use the scraps in the storage compartments or leave them just painted?  I see no reason to use the floor mats in those.  Since they are for storage I figured it would be easier for cleaning just to leave them painted.

@Gbarnesnavy I got the mat without the backing, but I am sure either way is fine. I didn't get a boarder either since I figured on cutting out much of the mat to accommodate all the curves etc. 

I do plan on using the remaining material in most of my lockers just to help protect the floor coating, reduce noise, keep things from sliding around, etc. I also figured it might help with the drying of all the ropes, life jackets, etc by allowing some air to circulate under those. 

Best of luck on the project, we are really happy with the final product on our boat. 

Looks great!  I tried using my old carpet as the template and it worked OK.  I should have done the masking paper template too.  It's harder on a DD because you're guaranteed to have a seam somewhere highly visible.  I actually ended up with two visible seams on mine the way I did it.

• Like 1