Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat wax

Being a New Boat owner I’m looking for every bit of advise you guys have. 

-how often do you wax your boats? 

- do you also wax under the boat as well?

what wax do you recommend?  
And do you guys treat the interior seats with anything to protect them from the sun? 

thank you and I’ll take all the info you guys have. I appreciate it! 

Different perspective:  I have been using "the absorber," a synthetic chamois-type product available at Walmart, and practically any auto-parts store, to dry my boat off after every outing.  They are machine washable, and they last pretty much forever (15 year old boat, and, while I've picked up a half dozen of these things over the years, I have yet to throw any of them away).  I don't own a black boat, which I'm told is always the real test, but these things do great at preventing water spots.  And, always having several on board, tucked into drink holder cups, as soon as I pull one out and start the wipe down, my crew members invariably take the hint and help out with the process.  Takes less than 10 minutes all by myself though.

As far as "wax," I have been using Star-brite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF since practically day 1.  I apply it once in the spring and once in the fall.  It goes on easy with a wetted waxing pad, then wipes off easily with a micro-fiber towel.  Additionally, after every third or fourth outing, I spritz on Babe's Boat Bright.  Love the smell, and it is literally spray-on-wipe-off-easy to apply.

FWIW, my boat has never seen the inside of a garage.  It has been on a [covered] boat lift at a marina 24/7/365 since the day I bought her.  And, with the above relatively simple and inexpensive recipe, the gel coat, IMHO, still looks pristine after all of these years. 

I don't routinely wax the underside.  It's difficult to do while on a lift, but, while on a trailer, I have been known (OCD issues) to get down and clean and polish every square inch.  Interestingly, doing so increases surface tension and adversely affects drag (counterintuitively slows the boat).

303 Aerospace Protectant spray is what I have always used on the interior vinyl.  And, when not in use, my boat always wears a cover.  Still rocking almost all of my original upholstery, and it has held up very well (I replaced the skins on the rear sun deck portion of my v-drive because of [notorious] purple discoloration along the rear edges, an interaction between heat and the adhesive used on installation, or some such thing).

Edited by srab

Thank you for the reply’s.  From what I have been reading both wax’s seems to be popular. From what I’m gathering the trick is to apply a actually wax at least twice a year. Then every so often apply a liquid wipe on?

Depending on your hull colors I’d say a spray and wipe after every use is essential IMHO, especially with darker colors.

it makes the 2x per season details go much quicker.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Depending on your hull colors I’d say a spray and wipe after every use is essential IMHO, especially with darker colors.

it makes the 2x per season details go much quicker.

Yup.  Collinite twice a year on my mostly black and blue boat, wipedowns with eagle 1 wax as you dry to keep the waterspots at bay.

For the last couple seasons using the recipe that @Stevomentioned, I've been able to get through each season with only one sealant application.  It's been quite nice, actually.  I'm excited to see how the Ultra Lock + works this season.  So far, it's made clean up after each outing easier than I recall from last season.  

19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yup.  Collinite twice a year on my mostly black and blue boat, wipedowns with eagle 1 wax as you dry to keep the waterspots at bay.

X2 on Collinite. Easy to apply and works great. Just make sure you apply out of direct sunlight

I use it on all my vehicles...works great on windshields/windows too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 8:22 AM, Stevo said:

there will be a FORD / CHEVY / DODGE Debate on brands for this topic.

me personally

After each boat use- wipe-down with costco yellow microfiber towells https://www.cochaser.com/blog/kirkland-signature-microfiber-towel-ultra-plush-36-pack/ - i basically use these as semi-disposeable, any that hit the ground or get used on the trailer become rags for my shop, and then get tossed. they are very inexpensive and work well IMHO

exterior - Boat bling Hot Sauce - https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Bling-HS-Premium-Remover/dp/B006GJYOL0/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=boat%2Bbling&qid=1620659799&s=automotive&sr=1-3&th=1
interior - boat bling vinyl sauce - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006GJYP5K/ref=twister_B07PGBP3BM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 - I recommend pulling each cushion and wiping up any moisture between cushions and back rest vinyl  to avoid any mold or discoloration / funky smell. During hot summer months when i get home i generally pull up cushions and compartments to allow airflow to dry everything out.

1-2x per year depending on the watersports and wear on the top deck (mine is black ) i bought this 3 stage polish set. the heavy cut can remove everything from chalky white scratches from the bunks under the hull , and the final finish leaves a nice glossy finish.
https://www.amazon.com/Menzerna-Super-Medium-Polishing-Compound/dp/B01N1G9K7P/ref=asc_df_B01N1G9K7P/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343934424466&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8000888281238321219&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-761751938535&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=68123836254&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343934424466&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8000888281238321219&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014221&hvtargid=pla-761751938535

i stopped using a "wax" a few years ago and moved to Polimer sealant for the recommendation of another forum member that is waaaaayyy into detailing,

https://www.amazon.com/Jescar-Power-Polymer-Paint-Sealant/dp/B076ZWMD2G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=jescar+power+lock+polymer+sealant&qid=1620660104&s=automotive&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FYWYS5HRG3VU&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVU1XM1NBTzczNzJOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjI5NDcwVE5KSTEzT0VPMkEyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMzA1ODExT1MxNklFUVBIQVE5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

@Stevosuper helpful lineup as I'm getting ready for summer. . thanks

Curious what you are using to put on the polish and sealant? Or probably more relevant for me, what you'd recommend for newbie polisher?  Dual action or rotary?  Any favorites?

I use a makita corded 6in polisher with various pads for polishing compounds 

Chemical Guys BUFX700 Hex-Logic Quantum Best of the Best Buffing and Polishing Pad Kit, 16 fl. oz (8 Items) (5.5 Inch Fits 5 Inch Backing Plate) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0VIPNK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YKHKZWC3PSCY5K56KKWZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a 3 inch griots random orbit for small/tight areas

and a 5 inch griots random I use for nano skin pad and sealers. 

AUTOSCRUB 6" Fine Grade Foam Pad for DA Polisher [AS-006] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090IRKUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_43J7QY0QJ322YFXB2H82

Edited by Stevo

The Boat Bling stuff is so easy to use and smells good too.  My boat is black and red and definitely shows water spots, so I try to wipe it down when we are done for the weekend using Hot Sauce.   I wax 1x a year but I should do it more than that.  It sits on a lift and is always covered when not in use.  I'm afraid of random orbitals and am sure I would burn a hole that would cost me $$$.