Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Baby jackets

oldjeep

Need to pick up a baby jacket for our grandson for when he comes out on boat.  Any suggestions on a comfortable one that is USCG approved?  He's almost 6 months old and doesn't have any issues sitting.

I highly recommend the Baby Bijoux in that linked thread.   No, not USCG approved but, back when I was researching it I thought part of the reason is USCG didn't certify jackets below a certain weight.   In any case, they kept all 3 of my girls comfortable when they were young and I never worried that it wouldn't perform if it needed to.   

3 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I highly recommend the Baby Bijoux in that linked thread.   No, not USCG approved but, back when I was researching it I thought part of the reason is USCG didn't certify jackets below a certain weight.   In any case, they kept all 3 of my girls comfortable when they were young and I never worried that it wouldn't perform if it needed to.   

Has to be USCG so it passes a safety check.  But yes, they don't certify anything under 20lbs which is why the infant stuff is all listed as 30 and under.

5 minutes ago, footndale said:

MN law require everyone to have one one under a certain age?

MN law says that everyone in the boat needs to have a properly sized and accessible USCG life jacket.  Anyone under 10 is required to be wearing it.  It is pretty easy to identify a USCG jacket without even looking at the tag so I want to be legal.

So for my wife who wakeboards in a comp jacket, we also have to carry a USCG jacket in the boat for her.

Edited by oldjeep
martinarcher

I bought a Baby Bijoux for our little one as I'm not too impressed with the USCG approved options and think they are much less likely to roll the baby over.  Considering she'll weight less than 20 lbs for most of the season, I'll see if I catch any flack.  I'd rather be safe.

I used the baby bijou for both my kids. I was checked on the water once, officer was more looking to see that I had vests for all the adults. I can’t imagine in covid times they would do more than just look from a distance. As long as you are on the water, they’re not gonna make you remove it from an infant to verify uscg cert. 

Looked at the previous thread and some of the (USCG) recommended ones were not available any more.  So I did some googling and settled on the Overtons infant jacket.  Supposed to be comfortable and almost all of the floatation foam is in the front of the jacket except for the collar so it floats them face up.  I appreciate that folks seem to like that non-USCG jacket but I'm not buying one unless it is legal.  You wouldn't have to remove it, it is obvious by looking at it that it is not (no strap around the middle) - same way you can identify a comp jacket.

https://www.overtons.com/overtons-infant-vest-300056_YELW.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign={Campaign}&gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIYRrz1QK1znBStXRPNcGBydV50qUio6rshKpOeDPL136vim2pHb938aAiQnEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Once he gets bigger then the Stohlquist seems to be the way to go.

Finnley say hi ;)

IMG_20210508_131129_1.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

I've heard good things about the one you got.  Biggest thing for me, is go with a nylon PFD versus a neoprene one at that age.  Babies get way too hot in the neoprene and it tends to irritate their neck/get heat rash.

18 hours ago, TomH said:

I've heard good things about the one you got.  Biggest thing for me, is go with a nylon PFD versus a neoprene one at that age.  Babies get way too hot in the neoprene and it tends to irritate their neck/get heat rash.

Yup - we never put kids in neoprene when they are the age that has to wear them all the time.  I know I would not want to wear mine all day.