Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu LSV Computer System Freezes: 2019 23 LSV

Video of frozen computer system

Malibu 23 LSV, 2019

I’ve read multiple discussions about this topic but I haven’t found a solve. 

My boat system freezes randomly and roughly 1 out of 4 uses. Length of use varies, outdoor temp varies (recent system freeze it was 50° F outside), activity varies. I cannot find a common cause. My viper system has been replaced as well as the power/start buttons. It still freezes. 

Any suggestions other than raising hell with dealer and Malibu?

10 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Have you validated the batteries are good, the terminals are clean and good connections? I’d also check the battery switch connections.

Yes but worth another check. Thx.  

I took my ‘19 in to get the big screen warranty replaced late last year and I am guessing they updated the computer. Although it still shows the same version. Anyway, I had the same issue last weekend.  I powered it up to find the same condition so I powered the dash down and shut off the main power at the switch. Went through the power up process and it was “kind of back to normal”. I say kind of because, previously I could only use the 3.5mm jack into my iPhone 11 for music due to god awful background noise through the BT. On the restart at that time the 3.5 jack wasn’t recognized and only the BT worked. Which ironically was the best sounding BT I have experienced in any of my boats. Now, after shutting it down I am back to a crappy BT signal but my 3.5 jack works as before. Guess I will settle for the status quo and be happy that I have what I have. IME, in this instance only the dealer will be able to temporarily fix it. 

40 minutes ago, wdr said:

I took my ‘19 in to get the big screen warranty replaced late last year and I am guessing they updated the computer. Although it still shows the same version. Anyway, I had the same issue last weekend.  I powered it up to find the same condition so I powered the dash down and shut off the main power at the switch. Went through the power up process and it was “kind of back to normal”. I say kind of because, previously I could only use the 3.5mm jack into my iPhone 11 for music due to god awful background noise through the BT. On the restart at that time the 3.5 jack wasn’t recognized and only the BT worked. Which ironically was the best sounding BT I have experienced in any of my boats. Now, after shutting it down I am back to a crappy BT signal but my 3.5 jack works as before. Guess I will settle for the status quo and be happy that I have what I have. IME, in this instance only the dealer will be able to temporarily fix it. 

I also had a bluetooth issue. The speakers would give off a whining and static sound-only for bluetooth. Awful. It didn’t matter the phone used. That problem ended up being an incorrectly grounded system. It took the dealer awhile to discover. 

• 1 month later...

We've also had this issue, and had our screen swapped out 3 times, and our viper unit, and it won't move our wedge.... We are currently in the process of having to take it in the process of legally handling it.  This is the only issue, they keep coming. Now our surf gate is intermittant, and it doesn't want to connect to our phones bluetooth either. 

We had an issue with our current and our last boat.  Typically it happened when the boat was just sitting and we were playing bluetooth, but occasionally it would happen where we couldn't do things like turn the engine off on the trailer unless we pulled the emergency power off cord.

I have since made it a habit to routinely turn the batteries off every time we are done for the day (not just turn the system off at the helm) and the problem hasn't come back.  Knock on wood that I didn't just jinx myself.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gahvey said:

We had an issue with our current and our last boat.  Typically it happened when the boat was just sitting and we were playing bluetooth, but occasionally it would happen where we couldn't do things like turn the engine off on the trailer unless we pulled the emergency power off cord.

I have since made it a habit to routinely turn the batteries off every time we are done for the day (not just turn the system off at the helm) and the problem hasn't come back.  Knock on wood that I didn't just jinx myself.

This should be standard practice for anyone in these boats.  I made the mistake of not doing this once in the first season of ownership of our 2017.  

1 hour ago, gahvey said:

I have since made it a habit to routinely turn the batteries off every time we are done for the day (not just turn the system off at the helm) and the problem hasn't come back.

And if you have an onboard charger, plug it in.

Even in my Ram 3500. Batteries will act fine. However, if I start getting check engine lights, I change the batteries. This has always cured intermittent check engine lights.

This actually goes all the way back to my MY O4 truck. Even with different manufacturers