Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Outdoor Storage

Rocki

I am a new boat owner. We have not been able to find any indoor storage. What are some tricks to help keep the boat in good condition while being stored outdoor? If I find indoor storage is the cost worth it? Or will outdoor storage be fine? 

On 5/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, Rocki said:

I am a new boat owner. We have not been able to find any indoor storage. What are some tricks to help keep the boat in good condition while being stored outdoor? If I find indoor storage is the cost worth it? Or will outdoor storage be fine? 

try to put some rain structure over it even a tarp frame tent secured with concrete in buckets plus your cover and run a fan under cover 24/7.  if it is in the rain with cover on, go after each rain and dry the boat after the cover dries, the mildew will grow instantly.

tilt your cushions 24/7 under the cover

if you can build a rain cover, lower your tower to fit obviously and find a way to put cover over tower and boat corners

Edited by granddaddy55

I'd say the majority of boats are stored outside.  While not ideal, it is hard to find indoor storage.  

Make sure you have a good cover.  And keep it treated to be waterproof.  I'd also suggest a good waxing on a regular basis to protect the gel coat from the sun.  Any temporary cover is tough in Colorado because the wind will shred it, and the flapping could damage your boat.  

For the off season, I'd have it shrink wrapped.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:40 PM, Rocki said:

If I find indoor storage is the cost worth it? Or will outdoor storage be fine? 

My answer to this is yes, indoor storage is worth it if you can find it.  Especially with the cost of boats, and it will make a significant difference in resale.  There are a couple of Colorado boating groups on Facebook.  Might check on them (or an RV group) to see if they have suggestions on covered storage.  I know I have seen posts on there before about availability.

What is your climate like? I would definitely consider shrink wrapping the boat if you’re somewhere north.
Or if you’re somewhere in the pnw where it never stops raining I would consider indoor storage as nothing will stay dry. 

Are you asking about storage for layup or for year round use? (Storing inside between uses) 

indoor storage is worth the money in my opinion. I just bought a new boat and I have also secured heated indoor storage for the winter. In the dummer it hangs out in the Marina basin and occasionally on the trailer.