Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23LSV Wireless charging pads

bcf2003

Odd that this worked fine on my last boat (w/ the foam) but they changed something and now it doesn't?  If it ain't broke ... well, now it is.

Note - Mine doesn't work with or w/o a case

Edited by pauley71
Just now, pauley71 said:

Odd that this worked fine on my last boat (w/ the foam) but they changed something and now it doesn't?  If it ain't broke ... well, now it is.

Probably works with some phones and not others

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

All that's been on ours is iPhones and they charge......without the case on. 

My previous boats worked fine, with the sculpted pad and with my case on.  That said, when it comes to protection, I prefer it very thin. 

4 minutes ago, IXFE said:

My previous boats worked fine, with the sculpted pad and with my case on.  That said, when it comes to protection, I prefer it very thin. 

LOL!!  Don't we all!?!?!?

My case is also very thin.  But it does have a metal plate in it that attaches to a magnet in my truck so that I can see it while driving without having to reach for it. 

Ok so figured it out (on my boat).  After connecting the chargers this is what I found (iPhone 12 pro w/ apple silicon case)

• Armrest Charger - works but only without a case and in the right 'spot'
  • Helm Charger - works but only without a case and b/c of the size of the phone you have to slide it up until the cameras are above the holder and the back of the phone sits FLAT against it
  • Glovebox Charger - doesn't work no matter what, guessing that sculpted foam is too thick to allow it to work.  Definitely why it was left off on later builds.  Odd that was the one that was disconnected (on purpose, did they know at this point?).

I don't know if the new magsafe back is impacting this but guessing not b/c I'm sure that all of us aren't using a iPhone 12pro.  

I'm also going to venture to say that Malibu is going to do nothing about this since 'technically' if you remove your case it charges and they will just rip the sculpted foam off and say now it works.  The annoying part is that in my last boat the armrest and helm worked perfectly fine with the cases on ... so what did they change?

ahopkins22LSV

You all should just go back to phones that can’t charge via pad. Cheap phone, save money on the boat, and charge no problem via cord. Assuming the cord is ok (I still rock an iPhone 7) :lol: :Tease3:

31 minutes ago, pauley71 said:

The annoying part is that in my last boat the armrest and helm worked perfectly fine with the cases on ... so what did they change?

Yeah, I was going to say... On a 2019 LSV 25 they work with phone covers on. My iphone cover even has a metal plate within the cover so its magnetic, and still works. 

Just tested my 2021 24 MXZ w/out the sculpted pads. All three locations worked WITH my phone case on. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. 

I realize this pic is kinda lame without showing the phone actively charging, but I needed the phone to take the pic!  😂

FYI, here’s the case I use...

CASEKOO Slim Fit Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro Max Case, Ultra Thin Hard Plastic Protective Phone Case Cover with Matte Finish Coating Cases 6.7 inch, Graphite Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXMBBPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5JEAWEB9P6ARVS38ME0F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

FA667E6C-4E76-4CF4-A1AD-986B8C843A3F.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You all should just go back to phones that can’t charge via pad. Cheap phone, save money on the boat, and charge no problem via cord. Assuming the cord is ok (I still rock an iPhone 7) :lol: :Tease3:

Honestly we don't own a single phone that supports wireless charging.  Is this an Apple thing?

So dealer got back to me and Malibu's answer was "There is no longer sculpted pads. Wireless charging is to take place when sitting stationary".. haha yeah ok.

Edited by bcf2003
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Just tested my 2021 24 MXZ w/out the sculpted pads. All three locations worked WITH my phone case on. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. 

I realize this pic is kinda lame without showing the phone actively charging, but I needed the phone to take the pic!  😂

FYI, here’s the case I use...

CASEKOO Slim Fit Compatible with iPhone 12 Pro Max Case, Ultra Thin Hard Plastic Protective Phone Case Cover with Matte Finish Coating Cases 6.7 inch, Graphite Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXMBBPZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_5JEAWEB9P6ARVS38ME0F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

FA667E6C-4E76-4CF4-A1AD-986B8C843A3F.jpeg

Looks super cheap compared to the 2020 models.  

• 1 month later...

So I start texting the local sea deck cutter and at first he’s super responsive. I send him pics of the chargers, and he asks me if I need any other pieces. I say no, aaaaaand he ghosts me. I wait a few days thinking maybe he’s busy. I try again and still nothing. Then I made the templates and sent him pics. Still nothing. Just ignores me. Nice huh?  I swear this entire industry is in such a funk… how about this: if the job is too small and you don’t want to do it, just say so. 

So once again time to take matters into my own hands.  This ain’t rocket science… 

See where this is going??

A925F984-C43A-4BC8-B145-1CB2EAEC3CDB.jpeg

244089DA-A850-4D8A-8462-83343330BA59.jpeg

BE6D2156-C8E9-490C-99D3-7BB7498EFF0E.jpeg

0CB5CD57-434F-4E74-A3B7-CAFB4727BD82.jpeg

2 hours ago, tbullard said:

You can buy the eva foam on amazon and cut your own.

It’s funny you say that. I was thinking similar idea so I asked the local guy to just sell me an uncut piece. No response. 

I didn’t even think to check Amazon. 

I only have about 30 mins into my project, so I could easily abandon it. But I’m kinda digging the idea of matching black vinyl wrapped pieces. 

9 hours ago, IXFE said:

Then I made the templates and sent him pics. Still nothing. Just ignores me. 

He's still trying to convert all those millimeter measurements to inches....  :whistle:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I was worried when I got through almost two full project posts by @IXFE and didn’t see a Diet Coke! :Tease3:

And as a Coca Cola shareholder since the late 1980's, I would like to personally thank @IXFE for his brand loyalty.

• Haha 1

@IXFE those are exceptionally well radiused corners for cutting by hand!  Did you do them with a jig saw?  Mine would look super janky in comparison I'm sure.  

Your template taped over a piece of eva foam and a router trim bit would rip out a nice foam piece in short order.

3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

@IXFE those are exceptionally well radiused corners for cutting by hand!  Did you do them with a jig saw?  Mine would look super janky in comparison I'm sure.  

Your template taped over a piece of eva foam and a router trim bit would rip out a nice foam piece in short order.

Inside (larger corners) using jigsaw nice and slow. 

Outside (tighter corners) I just eyeballed it using a sander to “knock down” the 90° corners.