Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer hub damaged

timelinex

I've got an extreme custom dual tandem trailer for my 2007 23lsv. The bearings inside on of the hubs exploded inside. The boat is parked by the lake 30 min away, so I got replacement bearings and drove back to fix it, but it's more than just the bearings that need to be replaced I think. I have no experience with this though so I'm not sure. I was hoping you guys can give me some advice.

I have attached pictures of the Hub & torsion arm. I think the Torsion arm needs to be replaced because the spindle is all marred/gouged up from the bearings being damaged. Maybe that's ok since the bearings sit on a race anyways? No idea.

spacer.png

The reason I think the Hub needs replacing is I cant get out the cap attached to it in the front. No matter how much I hammer even from the inside, it's moving , but not coming out. There is also a pressed fitting that seems like I need to replace on the inside, but it's not coming out. Lastly, I haven't taken a close look because there is still a bit of grease, but considering how the spindle looks, I am guessing it will be all gouged up as well.

spacer.png

If I need to replace everything, how do I know what model numbers of everything I need? The spindle on the torsion arm is 1-1/16" on one end and 1-3/8 on the other. 

Lastly, if I do need to replace everything, can I just buy THIS . That way I don't have to mess with greasing everything correctly (would be my first time) and putting everything on correctly. I'll just have to put on the torsion arm's bolt and boom, done. Is this the right model number? The hub is from one of the passengers (in relation to my car) side wheels, does that make it the right side assembly? Also, does it matter that my other 3 hubs are standard hubs and this is the vault system? I would be fine getting the whole assemble as not a vault kit, but couldn't find anything like that online.

Thanks guys

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by timelinex

@timelinex - Nice photos.  I was looking at your tailgate trying to decide if you had Rhino or Line-X, then I noticed your user name.

Your spindle is definitely cobbed up and needs replacement.  The photos don't show the back, but it looks like the spindle is forged with the torsion arm and not pressed in.

The hub is probably good.  Beat the cap sideways at the top to loosen it up.  Put about a quart of gasoline or diesel in an oil change pan and get a stiff parts brush, then use it to clean everything and get all of the grease off.  Both races will need to be drifted out and replaced, plus the oil seal.  The hub should have channels inside to allow your drift punch to ride the edge of the races, so just alternate back and forth on each side of the race until it comes out.  You'll have to drift the new ones in, so make sure they seat against the flange all the way around.  The drift won't dent them.  A BFH is your friend.  A half-inch steel rod about a foot long works well as a drift.

If you don't go with the vault hub, get some Bearing Buddy caps and learn how to grease them.  If you keep them full, you will never have a hub problem again.

And in the name of everything that is Holy, don't just fix this one hub and assume that the other three are OK... they aren't. 

15 hours ago, justgary said:

@timelinex - Nice photos.  I was looking at your tailgate trying to decide if you had Rhino or Line-X, then I noticed your user name.

Your spindle is definitely cobbed up and needs replacement.  The photos don't show the back, but it looks like the spindle is forged with the torsion arm and not pressed in.

The hub is probably good.  Beat the cap sideways at the top to loosen it up.  Put about a quart of gasoline or diesel in an oil change pan and get a stiff parts brush, then use it to clean everything and get all of the grease off.  Both races will need to be drifted out and replaced, plus the oil seal.  The hub should have channels inside to allow your drift punch to ride the edge of the races, so just alternate back and forth on each side of the race until it comes out.  You'll have to drift the new ones in, so make sure they seat against the flange all the way around.  The drift won't dent them.  A BFH is your friend.  A half-inch steel rod about a foot long works well as a drift.

If you don't go with the vault hub, get some Bearing Buddy caps and learn how to grease them.  If you keep them full, you will never have a hub problem again.

And in the name of everything that is Holy, don't just fix this one hub and assume that the other three are OK... they aren't. 

I appreciate the response!

The torsion arm is forged to the spindle. 

As for the cap goes, I beat that thing sideways for a long time with a rubber mallet and it did nothing. I tried to beat it from the inside with a flathead against the ridge, and nothing. I tried using pliers and twisting/pulling and nothing. I'm not sure what it is holding it on. Now that I have it home I will try it in a vice.

What does "drifting" mean in this context? I'm handy, but not familiar with the lingo.

So is it OK to replace one of the hubs/torsion arms with the Vault Hub, while keeping the other hubs as standard? I will obviously get the others hub bearings repacked. Although I barely drive the trailer and there was still a ton of grease in this hub, so not sure what happened.

Thanks

Edited by timelinex

Try taking a torch to the hub to get some expansion and beat on it some more.  Do this somewhere that if grease burns you don't cause a bigger problem!