Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How far do you back the trailer in the water

Merk

I've heard numerous ideas on how far to back the trailer in. One being till around 1" of water is over rear fenders other till front bunk is just covered. What is best way to launch these boats? Obviously to deep and risk smacking a prop and not enough your over powering off. What do y'all do?

Coming from a 2000 Response to our A22 it seems to be wayyyy different. Would also be interested in more knowledge. With the 2000 you dunked the bunks and pulled out till the front corners of the fenders were above water. Our dealer recommended water to the base of the pad on the trailer poles for depth. 

If launching with both boat operator and competent tow vehicle driver. Back down ramp, unhook just before water and have them back you in until you are floating free of trailer as they give a little brake for a little extra help away from trailer. Then let them drive out from under you. And wait for boat to start and drivers👍 before pulling away.

Obviously certain conditions won't allow this method.... crowded ramp, current, wind, reliability of boat starting, docks and boat drivers ability to maneuver, etc.   We use his method more often than not.  Always a judgment call.

If you are trailering and worried about the prop, I assume you are power loading?  If that's the case.  Many conditions will affect how far you back the trailer in.  If calm water and wind.  We back trailer in on a fairly flat ramp until boat driver can just see the front of front bunks sticking out of the water. Drive boat onto trailer and cut engine when inside the guides and just before boat is on bunks.  Tow vehicle operator attaches winch. And begins cranking, until boat is close enough for me to crank from the bow.  I have them get back in vehicle and inch down until boat is in position on trailer so not to overload winch.  Windy conditions we use same method but leave trailer further out.  Your ramp, trailer, boat etc may be different and require adjustments to this method.

Edited by bovhica
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, bovhica said:

If launching with both boat operator and competent tow vehicle driver. Back down ramp, unhook just before water and have them back you in until you are floating free of trailer as they give a little brake for a little extra help away from trailer. Then let them drive out from under you. And wait for boat to start and drivers👍 before pulling away.

Obviously certain conditions won't allow this method.... crowded ramp, current, wind, reliability of boat starting, docks and boat drivers ability to maneuver, etc.   We use his method more often than not.  Always a judgment call.

If you are trailering and worried about the prop, I assume you are power loading?  If that's the case.  Many conditions will affect how far you back the trailer in.  If calm water and wind.  We back trailer in on a fairly flat ramp until boat driver can just see the front of front bunks sticking out of the water. Drive boat onto trailer and cut engine when inside the guides and just before boat is on bunks.  Tow vehicle operator attaches winch. And begins cranking, until boat is close enough for me to crank from the bow.  I have them get back in vehicle and inch down until boat is in position on trailer so not to overload winch.  Windy conditions we use same method but leave trailer further out.  Your ramp, trailer, boat etc may be different and require adjustments to this method.

Great response. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Merk said:

Great response. Thank you.

Anytime.  I'm sure others will chime in with differing methods.  Whatever works for you......enjoy!

Ramp angle makes a big difference.  We have two ramps we use, one is half the pitch of the other, and we do things a little different.  I drive the boat, Wife rocks the trailer, like a boss.  Its fricken awesome. 

On the steeper ramp, we load under power, back the trailer in until the fenders go just below the water, pull on, get snug, then power up almost to bow stop, winch the last foot or so as the Mrs backs in a little more, give thumbs up, she drives out and we pull to the inspection station to do transom straps and pull plugs.

on the shallow ramp, we float on similar to how @carguy79ta explained. For us, the back wheels of the truck are about half way in the water, its actually hard to get the 25lsv centered at that ramp, usually takes more than one try. If its the response on the shallow ramp we can drive that on without issue, just get the bunks wet, and then bring the tips of the bunks just out of the water.

For launching, its basically the same.  We stop, put plugs in, remove transom straps, and loosen the bow strap about a half crank, but do not remove.  When backs it down, I wat by the bow roller, soon as the stern starts to float, i unhook and head to start it, she pauses backing down.  Once running, i drop into reverse, and she backs in a little more, the immediate bump into reverse is probably why we haven't burned an impeller in the 25 yet.  Soon as the boat is free from the trailer, she stops, adn drives out.  

works almost exactly same for the Response or LSV for launching.  Love having the operation run smooth on a busy day at the ramp. She loves it when she gets asked to back a trailer or boat in for someone else! 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, asnowman said:

Ramp angle makes a big difference.  We have two ramps we use, one is half the pitch of the other, and we do things a little different.  I drive the boat, Wife rocks the trailer, like a boss.  Its fricken awesome. 

On the steeper ramp, we load under power, back the trailer in until the fenders go just below the water, pull on, get snug, then power up almost to bow stop, winch the last foot or so as the Mrs backs in a little more, give thumbs up, she drives out and we pull to the inspection station to do transom straps and pull plugs.

on the shallow ramp, we float on similar to how @carguy79ta explained. For us, the back wheels of the truck are about half way in the water, its actually hard to get the 25lsv centered at that ramp, usually takes more than one try. If its the response on the shallow ramp we can drive that on without issue, just get the bunks wet, and then bring the tips of the bunks just out of the water.

For launching, its basically the same.  We stop, put plugs in, remove transom straps, and loosen the bow strap about a half crank, but do not remove.  When backs it down, I wat by the bow roller, soon as the stern starts to float, i unhook and head to start it, she pauses backing down.  Once running, i drop into reverse, and she backs in a little more, the immediate bump into reverse is probably why we haven't burned an impeller in the 25 yet.  Soon as the boat is free from the trailer, she stops, adn drives out.  

works almost exactly same for the Response or LSV for launching.  Love having the operation run smooth on a busy day at the ramp. She loves it when she gets asked to back a trailer or boat in for someone else! 

thank you 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:07 PM, carguy79ta said:

What we do. Wife unloads/loads.  I back trailer in/ pull out.

I back trlr down the ramp..then unhook the rear transom straps and bow hook/strap.

She cycles the key several times to engage fuel pump.

I back in slowly and when she feels the transom start to float she starts the motor. Once it starts I back a little more then hit the brakes. She floats off and puts it in reverse.

Loading I back trailer in so it is completely submerged. Rear 35 tire has water on the rim. (my truck..my lake..my trailer..everybody's is different)

Wife approaches at about 2-3mph with no throttle. 

I catch the bow to guide the boat onto the bunks, then hook the bow strap and winch about 12 in.

Wife kills the motor.

I pull the boat out and connect transom straps.

Main thing is we load with no throttle ever. If we have a prob I push her back out and try again.

A safety step we do is when ever on the ramp I always set E brake.

final thought..develop a routine (mental checklist) and do not stray from it.. that will help you to remember to put the plug in

Works perfectly about 95% of the time.

This is almost exactly what we do. Stop the truck when the boat raw water intake is submerged and fire it up to be sure it runs and then signal the truck driver to back in further until boat floats completely off the trailer. 

Loading is done with little to no throttle. I float it on and winch maybe 12" max.